FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Pumpkinrab88
Hi forum friends, I recently got one nep. amp*viking (the one with small red round pitcher) from one seller online and I was told that it could acclimate to normal room humidity & temperature in south California.

But the leaves seems kinda dry and reddish after couple days in my room. It's in a pure LFS pot with grow light. My room humidity is usually 45-55 during the day and slightly higher during the night when the grow light is off (my light kinda gets hot). I'm not sure if it's still acclimating to new environment or it's declining.

Anyone has experience grow this breed without using greenhouse in similar condition? Or is a high humidity greenhouse required?
By Apollyon
So it's a cross between an ampularia and a viking? They're lowland plants and they can be acclimated to room humidity. How warm is it in the room? The plant is going to take some time to get adjusted to its surroundings. If you find it continuing to decline, bag it up and progressively introduce it to relative humidity. Some handle it better than others. Some Neps I've taken from total humidity and threw them out in a room when they got too large. Pitchers dying back isn't uncommon with shocking the plant
BugBiters liked this
By ChefDean
From experience, it will look unhappy for up to six months, maybe more. As long as it's still green and putting out an occasional leaf, you're good.
I have a couple N. "Lady luck"; one was seed grown, one was a rooted cutting. Both took about six months to come out of shipping shock.
Keep it in a stable environment, and it should acclimate on its own within a few months. Be patient, Neps are slow.
BugBiters, Supercazzola liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Viking (AKA mirabilis var. Globosa) is an obligate lowland nep with very thin leaves that really will not grow super well without decent humidity. Amp is similar, but not as extreme. My amps and globosa did about nothing until I moved them into a warmer, wetter area. I’d highly recommend bagging your plants while they’re acclimating and then carefully acclimating to lower humidity once they produce some new leaves and pitchers by poking holes in the bag.
By Nepenthes0260
Luckily, the F1 hybrid vigor will be on your side so it should definitely be less finicky regarding temperatures and humidity than either of the parents.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!