FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
Newbie in need of help please. I purchased Drosera "coccicaulis" seed (=D venusta?), seed quaiity unknown. I sowed some on pure sphagnum, some on sand:peat. Some under bright light, some less bright. Similar results for both media, both light conditions. Ambient temperature 22 to 30 degrees C, 70 to 85 degrees F, humidity 60 to 70%.

Seeds sprouted about 3 weeks from sowing. Observed with magnifying glass, each plant less than 1 mm high, less than 1 mm across its two leaves, bright green but no increase in size after more than 2 weeks. What is wrong?

Probably no insects small enough for them to catch at this stage. Do I need to 'feed' these tiny seedlings? If yes, what nutrients/how to apply? Advice will be much appreciated!
By ChefDean
Usually the first two leaves are cotyledons, non carnivorous, put out to begin photosynthesis. Just give them good light, sunlight preferably, and they'll do their thing.
Once you see carnivorous leaves you could try to feed them tiny bits, about 1/3 the size of the paddle, of flake fish food or nutritional yeast. Don't overdo it or give too big of pieces or you could promote mold.
You got this.
steve booth liked this
By plantnerdjules
Thank you both.
I didn't stratify these seeds. Actually I thought it wasn't required for this sub-tropical species - was that a mistake?
Fortunately several seeds did germinate. They put out their tiny cotyledons - thank you ChefDean , as you say, they are not proper leaves. What is worrying is they seem to have stalled at that stage.
I understand I will have to wait for proper leaves before I try to feed them as shown in the helpful video (thank you Sarracenia2001).
By plantnerdjules
Sorry I meant to add: They have been under a bright grow light full spectrum but perhaps not getting enough hours per day. I will try moving them to bright sun outdoors and hope that might stimulate growth. A bit more worry because outdoors is public space, just hope they will stay safe out there.
By nimbulan
Nothing sounds abnormal here. It can take sundew seedlings a while to get going after they germinate, particularly if they aren't getting much food. Remember that carnivorous plants are pretty slow growers in general.

I also would avoid the temperatures getting any higher than they currently are. That's definitely on the warm side for South African sundews.
By plantnerdjules
Thank you nimbulan. I guess I'm pushing my luck attempting to grow a sub-tropical species at my tropical location. But I might as well try the seeds that were available. So far unable to get tropical seeds/plants except one (D adelae which are doing okay).

For these D coccicaulis/venusta seeds, I only have a choice between (very slightly) cooler spot with insufficient light, or bright sun but potentially too hot. Any ideas for solving this?
By nimbulan
plantnerdjules wrote:Thank you nimbulan. I guess I'm pushing my luck attempting to grow a sub-tropical species at my tropical location. But I might as well try the seeds that were available. So far unable to get tropical seeds/plants except one (D adelae which are doing okay).

For these D coccicaulis/venusta seeds, I only have a choice between (very slightly) cooler spot with insufficient light, or bright sun but potentially too hot. Any ideas for solving this?
Providing the right temperatures is always one of the biggest issues with growing plants. I'd say it's safer to risk the heat than insufficient light - just keep an eye on the plants for signs of heat stress if the temperatures climb higher during summer.
By Z_Y
It sometimes just takes time depending on the species. One pot of D. capensis stayed as tiny specs for almost a whole year for me before becoming 5-10mm in size. My D. spathulata only took maybe 4 months to get to flowering sizes in the same conditions. It could be related to temperature and humidity or the species.

IMO, I wouldn't try feeding the tiny specs until they're at least 1cm in size. It could be just me, but every time I try to feed the specs no matter how small I think a portion is, it's always too much and it will cause mold and rot.

I'd just leave them alone and keep them wet. These plants thrive on neglect, just ignore them for a while and they'll do much better. Also imo I'd keep them indoors, once you move them outside some slug is going to stroll along and vacuum them all up.

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!