FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

Which Dionaea clones would you MOST want?

A25 (BCP dark red clone)
5%
1955 Clone (oldest Dionaea clone in circulation -- I think)
3%
Big Mouth
5%
Fused Tooth
6%
Fused Tooth Extreme
9%
Fuzzy Tooth
2%
G14 (aka "Dirk Ventham's Giant")
7%
Gold Strike
7%
Green Dragon
2%
Grün (all green variety like Justina Davis, but more vigorous)
4%
Holland Red
1%
Justina Davis
1%
Low Giant
10%
Petite Dragon
2%
Scarlet Bristle
7%
Southwest Giant
4%
Spider
7%
Tricherfalle
3%
Triffid Traps
No votes
0%
UK Sawtooth II
3%
Z11 (BCP large trapped clone)
5%
Wacky Traps
7%
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:I'll buy some plants! I'm just not too interested in cupped trap or the all green jaws like the store has right now (sorry Matt...). Maybe if you get some of the bigger varieties or that Dracula looking thing in there...that would be sweet!
I think you're in the majority Blake. Seems like the large trapped plants appeal to the masses. For me, they all look the same and not that much more spectacular than a large-trapped typical. I mean, when I look at a plant, I'd rather see something unique, like a cupped trap or a red sawtooth, rather than just a mass of large traps. Even my "typical" plants regularly have traps over 1" in length. That's pretty large and is there really that much of a difference between 1.25" and 1.5" traps when you look at them with the naked eye? Not to me...

But, as I said, you're definitely in the majority and I have some very superior looking plants that I plan on propagating and offering in the store. One that I haven't mentioned yet, but I'm calling "Long Eyelashes" has really long cilia and very large traps. I think it's gorgeous. It looks quite a bit like B52, but with longer cilia. I'm propagating that one.

I also have 350+ seedlings from Bob Ziemer's 2009 seed harvest going in TC right now. He has an amazing Dionaea collection (best in the U.S.) and I'm sure that many of the babies from this mix will turn out to be superior in some way.

Also, next year Steve_D and I are planning on starting a Dionaea breeding program. We'll be hand pollinating selected clones to try to get desirable offspring. We'll definitely try to cross the largest trapped plants to get a robust, large trapped plant hopefully superior to any others out there right now.
By 95slvrZ28
I can say, once I have a plant that produces big traps (I have some really big flies in my house sometimes and I want to see them screw up ok!) I probably won't need another. I would like some of the all red varieties (there is still my lone vote for A25). A red sawtooth would be very cool. I thought about purchasing one of the varieties with dentate traps from the store but in the pictures they were all green and I want some color!
By lemonlily
I know my Dente has colour. You're going for red lol.

Mine is a bit pink on the traps. Well the inside.
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:I thought about purchasing one of the varieties with dentate traps from the store but in the pictures they were all green and I want some color!
Yes, Dentate Traps doesn't color up a ton, but it does get some color on the interior of the traps.

If you'd like a plant with dentate-like cilia that colors up really well and has very large traps, I'd wait for 'Jaws'. I have a few of them deflasked already and many, many more on the way in a few weeks. They'll definitely be available in the store this summer.

'Jaws' is an official cultivar and, as far as I know, it isn't available for sale anywhere else in the world. Not to mention, it's one of my favorite plants... ;)
By 95slvrZ28
Oooohhh :o

I will wait sir...I will wait. If they're available this summer, consider one to already have a home. :D
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:Oooohhh :o

I will wait sir...I will wait. If they're available this summer, consider one to already have a home. :D
Cool! I deflasked some rather large ones about 3 weeks ago. They're hardening off just fine in my grow rack and I'll probably add them to the store in a month or two. I also have 30 some-odd TC jars of 'Jaws' going right now, which will translate into several hundred plants that will come out over the next few months and likely be ready for sale by the middle or end of summer.
By grant
Matt wrote: I think you might have missed this post when I made it a while back Grant:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =24&t=2963

That's a plant I received from Bob Ziemer. It's a Jaws X Petite Dragon. I think it looks very similar to Dracula, even more so than the plant in this thread. What do you think?
Matt. yeah. that one is very cool too :D whatever you guys can get. no pressure :D thank you for doing what you are doing :D
By Matt
tejan24 wrote:Hi Matt,
are the big jaws VFT's you have at the store a all green plant?
No, the "Big Jaws" are not an all green plant. They develop red interior traps. I haven't grown them long enough to know their characteristics fully, but they seem to have larger than average traps and other than that look to be mostly typical in appearance.
grant wrote:Matt. yeah. that one is very cool too :D whatever you guys can get. no pressure :D thank you for doing what you are doing :D
No pressure felt Grant ;) Steve and I are just trying to get some of the harder to find clones out to the masses. I know that when I started looking at expanding my collection, I was very disappointed when I found out how limited a selection there was of Dionaea clones in the US. Between a breeding program and tissue culturing already named clones, we should be able to make many new clones available to people at very reasonable prices. That's our goal at least :D
By Freak of Nature
this is awesome and i'm from the u.s. and i really want wacky traps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By manzano167
So extreme fussed tooth wins! also the VFT spider! awsome! and wacky traps come in 3th or 4th great cant wait till mid fall comes or 2011 to et some awsome VFTs also matt are they already in TC?
By Matt
manzano167 wrote:also matt are they already in TC?
I don't have any of the options listed here started in TC. I'm hoping to get most of them started this summer, but we'll see how that goes.

I'll make a post soon listing the Dionaea that I do have in TC and a "loose" timeline as to when Steve and I will have them available.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!