FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Love Plant
I had three other flytraps die back and I assume they went into dormancy. I am not sure with this one because I recently got it and its been inside so the temperature stays around 70s.

Some of the traps are shriveling up and wont work. There seems to be more traps not working than there are that does actually work. Some as you can see are turning black. I take good care of it. Its infront of a window, water with distilled, the sphagnum moss around it is always wet. So I am not sure if its going into dormancy, suffering from bugs, or I am doing something wrong. What do you think?
Attachments:
vf 1.jpg
vf 1.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
vf 2.jpg
vf 2.jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
vf 3.jpg
vf 3.jpg (82.11 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
By That one plant boi
This actually looks like a lack of light. These dudes look pretty limp and pale. I'd get them so quality UV rays under that big ball of burning matter in the sky.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tommyr liked this
By ChefDean
Not dormancy, but an anguished cry of a slow death.
VFT's need much better light than a sunny windowsill can deliver, 6+ hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight. Alternatively, you could use strong grow lights to the tune of 12+ hours a day, but why when you have free sunlight? A VFT will get better light outside on a cloudy day than on the sunniest of windowsills.
Your others died back because, well, they probably died due to insufficient light.
Also, the shriveling traps could be due to a pest. In one pic I see what might be aphids.
Not trying to be rude, I'm just a blunt guy.
By Panman
Flytraps typically don't die completely back for dormancy. The tend to put out smaller low growing traps and the traps may function slowly but they look healthy and the leaves are green.
By Love Plant
Thank you for the replies. I went and got a lightbulb (I did my research) and I hope that helps. I had them outside all summer but I am at college now so they have to grow indoors.
There are tiny white bugs in the sphagnum moss. I am teying to find out what they are.
Savethetrees4life liked this
By MaxVft
Love Plant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 pm There are tiny white bugs in the sphagnum moss. I am teying to find out what they are.
Probably aphids cuz that LFSM is way too moist for a flytrap, especially indoors. Any pics?

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!