FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I got gifted a 25 dollar gift card and used it to, of course, purchase my first Drosera multifida Extrema! this thing looks awesome, and I got a plant with pretty long leaves. I've done a lot of research, but figured I'd ask here for any care tips that come with these plants, as first hand experience is always much appreciated!

They're really droopy right now though so I put it on a table where it can hang off the side, which I guess is normal, but anything I should be aware of with the plant?

I just planted it in a 4.5 inch pot, 50/50 mix of peat moss/perlite, and chucked it outdoors in a tray of distilled water. I heard they don't need dormancy, so I'll move it indoors under my Yescom 225 during the winter.

By Nikson
tommyr wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:16 pm Just give it BRIGHT light and keep in a water tray then stand back! The leaves are SUPER EASY to start new plants with in distilled water. The leaves can get HUGE!
Sounds good, just put it outside on my south facing patio with plenty of sun!

Also wow, it looks like it's already acclimated to the new growing conditions, that weird strand that was growing out of it yesterday is already starting to stand up straight. Does this look like a new leaf, or a flower?

By tommyr
Nikson wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:14 pm
tommyr wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:16 pm Just give it BRIGHT light and keep in a water tray then stand back! The leaves are SUPER EASY to start new plants with in distilled water. The leaves can get HUGE!
Sounds good, just put it outside on my south facing patio with plenty of sun!

Also wow, it looks like it's already acclimated to the new growing conditions, that weird strand that was growing out of it yesterday is already starting to stand up straight. Does this look like a new leaf, or a flower?

Looks like a leaf to me.
Nikson liked this
By Apollyon
Definitely looks like a new leaf. It's weird how it hasn't forked again yet. Perhaps the light will bring it out more. I grow mine partial sun here in Florida year round and they do great. They don't go "dormant" here really but I've heard they can die back to the roots so if it does in the winter don't be too alarmed. Drop back on having it too wet and it'll likely grow back from the roots.

Flower stalks come in a lot thicker so you'll be able to identify it pretty easily. It'll grow wonky until it has other leaves to support itself so don't worry too much. They don't really stand straight up outside because of the wind. Good luck!
Nikson liked this
By steve booth
They are easy to grow and will fill that pot next year.
I grow some of mine in 16" hanging baskets lined and filled with live sphagnum, they love it and the leaves fall over the sides to 16" long. A single plant will colonise a hanging basket in a couple of years but if you take 2" long root cuttings and put them in the Sphagnum in spring, it really cust down the colonisation time. Being in the UK they die back to the roots in winter but always come back.
Good luck
Steve
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:32 pm Definitely looks like a new leaf. It's weird how it hasn't forked again yet. Perhaps the light will bring it out more. I grow mine partial sun here in Florida year round and they do great. They don't go "dormant" here really but I've heard they can die back to the roots so if it does in the winter don't be too alarmed. Drop back on having it too wet and it'll likely grow back from the roots.

Flower stalks come in a lot thicker so you'll be able to identify it pretty easily. It'll grow wonky until it has other leaves to support itself so don't worry too much. They don't really stand straight up outside because of the wind. Good luck!
It finally unfurled and forked after it grew up a bit! It's looking great, happy with this plant!

And yeah due to winter coming I decided to move it indoors with my growlight setup, that Yescom 225 with my pings that you helped me with in the other thread before, and it's doing wonders. I can already see another leaf starting to unfurl as well!

Apollyon liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!