FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By horsesmouth
Hi all

I received some seeds from carnivorousplantnursery.com. they are a 'typical' variety and on the paper it says the following:
- stratification is beneficial
- sow in spring

Online is saw that this VFT blooms in spring and seeds don't require stratification and can be sown indoors at any time. Can I sow these now or should I wait as per instructions?
Attachments:
IMG_20211009_115617.jpg
IMG_20211009_115617.jpg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 1086 times
By MaxVft
Yes you are correct, VFT seeds can be sowed without stratification. If you are sowing outdoors, then yes you would have to sow sometime before dormancy. If you are sowing indoors under grow lights then you can sow any time of the year until it gets warm enough to put them outside after that germinate.

Note: All VFT seeds are Typical variety incase you didn't know. No matter what variety/parent plant the seeds came from, seeds will always remain typical due to the vast variety of genes that come with it.
tommyr liked this
By horsesmouth
Thanks for the reply.
I'll sow them now itself, about 15 seeds.. I'm based out of Georgia and my southwest window gets good sun in the evening, so i'll place it there.
I have a heating mat set to low, so my seeds are at a temperature of 81-85 F most of the time. They are covered in saran wrap with a water tray underneath with some water so the soil can absorb water from the bottom. Hopefully they germinate soon and are of different kinds.

I want these to survive, I killed a VFT plant previously because i didn't know anything.. bought miracle-gro peat moss and perlite, didn't even soak the peat moss beforehand and put it out in the July sun. It died in a few days.. didn't even know miracle-gro put fertilizer in the perlite :roll:
this time i got all the organic stuff and followed all procedure, so hope it works
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!