FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Savethetrees4life
As said just got this VFT and pitcher plant I’m hoping light will bring the VFT back to life. I think the PP is in good shape. Any helpful knowledge is greatly appreciated. Have a good day.
Attachments:
VFT
VFT
A7363F63-51CB-4C6C-A527-B4BCA2E39CC4.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 1871 times
Pitcher plant
Pitcher plant
97C59B11-C25C-4A40-A3AB-9087584E2657.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1871 times
By ChefDean
My suggestions:
With the Nepenthes, hang it in front of an east facing window, keep it moist, and it will be OK. It will likely not do much for about 6 months. But, as long as it's green and you keep it moist, it should be fine.
The VFT: Assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere, put it outside in an area that gets a few hours of direct AM sunlight, and it'll be OK too. You don't have a lot of time to baby it before dormancy, so it needs to nut up and get tough to survive until next Spring.
Alternatively, you can baby the VFT and skip dormancy this year. But keep it in a sunny windowsill, south or west facing, this winter. Feed it regularly with appropriately sized pet store crickets, but crush their little skulls (kill them so they don't chew their way out) before you feed them and trigger the traps to close. Don't forget to gently massage the traps about an hour later to stimulate them to seal and digest the critter.
You got this!
Chef
MaxVft liked this
By Savethetrees4life
Great info thank you. I’m in Minnesota USA. The VFT seems “leggy” like a squishy aloe plant which got worse on the 45 minute ride home but the Nepentes seems strong. They are both in plastic pots in a sand, peat, perlite mix as purchased. They’re indoors under LEDs that I grow Sunflowers under lol I’m trying not to burn ‘em they were in a terrarium under a weaker lamp.
By Apollyon
People don't usually try to skip dormancy on weak plants. If you want to try, I believe you'll need a fairly strong grow light and keep the plant fed a lot to allow it to store energy to divide. That's kind of how I picture this one going down. Be sure to cut off any flower stalk as soon as you can safely get rid of it. Window will not be enough for that. Check out the flytrapcare.com link up top and read the articles. It'll help you get a lot of answers. Are you using a grow light on those plants?

People like to debate if plants can skip dormancy or not. The ones that do usually say they keep the plants fed or fertilized and run pretty long light cycles. I was thinking of trying this with a DCXL next season.

Honestly I'd do what Dean suggested and put the flytrap in the shade for a week and then introduce it to partial. Probably don't have enough time to really harden it off to full sun. Where you are, you'll probably need to do refrigerator dormancy(or someplace you can keep it above freezing) or have a grow setup and probably get comfortable with fertilization if you want to actually skip it. Water and light will help the plant perk up but it will need to be strong light. Putting it by the window is not going to work.

As for the Nep, also agree just put it by a window and let it do its thing. That particular one isn't too demanding
By Savethetrees4life
I’ve got enough light I can grow sunflowers indoors. But I do think ur right on the dormancy I found the top post on here about it and Im gonna try my basement that stays 60 all year. when does the VFT start to flower or is it fluid?
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!