FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By dinogirl
I was wondering if you can feed a VFT beetle grubs? or can you feed them to other carnivorous plants as well? 8-)
By Matt
I don't think that there would be any issue feeding a flytrap beetle grubs as long as the trap was large enough to handle it. It's best to only feed the trap an insect that's one-third the size of the trap in order to prevent any possibility that the trap will die.
Matt liked this
By David F
Hey don't feed them "Wax Grubs" okay? Those are moth larvae but still. I don't think the plants are going to care for something like 80% fat, I think they are more into the protein, calciums, and ammonias.

I've seen the "Wax Worms" and I just don't think they will be suitable, dont' ask me why I think its because of the fat, but its more of a gut feeling.
By David F
Mealworms are FTW! feed them to my tarantulas all the time. Super worms are a beetle larvae that live in tropical climates, but they evolved to mature in their larvael state, and reproduce as mealworms, plus they get huge. I fed one to "jaws" and one to a "B52" the other day :)
By Arrowspark
I have found grubs to be too strong for VFT. The live ones don't stay in the trap. They force their way out of even the largest traps of my DCXL.
By DragonsEye
David F wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 pm Super worms are a beetle larvae that live in tropical climates, but they evolved to mature in their larvael state, and reproduce as mealworms, plus they get huge.
If you are talking about Zophobas morio, David, then a gentle correction is in order. They do not reproduce as larvae. Instead, like the mealworm common in the pet industry (Tenebrio molitor), they mature into a type of darkling beetle. Only the beetle stage is capable of reproduction.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!