FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Wow, it is hard to believe that this is the 1 year anniversary of the recent incarnation of the Flytrap Care Forum monthly photo contest! (Yes, we did start one in mid-September but that was just a pilot) Thank you to @Matt and Leah at The Flytrap Store for continuing to support the contest and supplying the prizes. We have had some doozies over the past year. Check out this list:
- VFT Low Giant
- VFT Jaws
- VFT FTS Lunatic Fringe
- VFT Rehder Giant #1
- VFT El Gecko
- VFT Big Mouth
- VFT FTS Big Behemoth
- VFT B-52
- VFT Alien
- VFT DC XL
- VFT FTS Flaming Lips

And most recently, a Sarracenia alabamensis! Wow. I have had fun (and continue to have fun) running the contest so let's keep it going!

This month, we want to see your babies all grown up. Let's see pictures of plants that you have grown from seed that are at least 1 year old. Any species is fine, but you must have grown the plant yourself. Let me run down the rest of the rules:
1. It must be your own picture
2. You can only submit one photo for this contest
3. Pictures shared in previous contests are not eligible
4. The winner will be the entry with the highest number of thumbs up votes
5. This contest is open internationally, although there will be an alternate prize for international winners

And what is the prize, you ask? Well, since Halloween is this month, how about a Creeping Death?

From the Flytrap Store website:
Discovered and named by Phil Golding, Creeping Death does not grow the wide petioled spring leaves that many flytraps do. Instead, it just starts the season with the long leaves in spring. Phil obtained the original plant from Cook's Carnivorous Plants years ago after helping Dean Cook clean out a greenhouse after a bad freeze. Creeping Death was among the only survivors. After a few years of growing the plant, he noticed the unique traits and set aside and named the plant. Like the WIP Slim Snapper, WIP Long Snapper and Spider, Creeping Death is a long-leafed Venus Flytrap clone.
So, let's see those pictures of your babies all grown up and maybe you'll get rewarded with a Creeping Death. Bwahahaha {insert Boris Karloff impersonation here}.
MaxVft, Kapahulu liked this
By Panman
Apollyon wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 pm Does it need to be seed grown?
Yes, it needs to be grown from seeds you sowed or at least that were naturally sown under your care.
By sundewd
CPhunter101 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:12 pm For some reason, the photo can't be enlarged/zoomed in, has anyone had this problem?
did you do it through your phone? I think it happens a lot when people upload through their phone and the phone decides to use some small preview version to save bandwidth or something like that.
By Nepenthes0260
Here are some specimens of a unique species that are just under 1.5 years old right now, grown from seed I imported from Allen Lowrie. D. collinsiae (TRUE, Usuthu River, Swaziland)
Attachments:
456709BA-04F2-4C6E-8537-18519096021E.jpeg
456709BA-04F2-4C6E-8537-18519096021E.jpeg (4.11 MiB) Viewed 4328 times
Panman, sundewd, ChefDean and 4 others liked this
By Apollyon
Here are my D. Spatulata "Tamlin" that I planted a year ago before the repots.
Attachments:
20211002_104013.jpg
20211002_104013.jpg (691.03 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
MaxVft, Panman, Bobioden and 3 others liked this
By DragonsEye
This is a Drosera filiformis x tracyi. Had gotten some seeds last summer from the seed bank from a selfing of D. Dreamcicle. Unfortunately, none of the offspring have the coloring of the parent plant. (Darn the whimsical nature of genetics!) But the plants have been vigorous. This one is the largest of the bunch.
Dros fili x tracyii .JPG
Dros fili x tracyii .JPG (687.74 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
Last edited by DragonsEye on Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Panman, Bobioden, Ewreck and 2 others liked this
By Panman
That is a great update of your plant. Congratulations on such great success. In order to participate in the contest, you need to limit your entry to just one photo. You can go back and edit what you have done here. I think you should also create a new post with this information. I'm sure others would love to see it.
MaxVft, CPhunter101 liked this
By Panman
I've only started growing from seed a year and a half ago when I joined this forum. The seed bank was impossible to resist. When I made my first request, ChefDean informed me that I was 5 days from qualifying for those seeds. He accepted the order and charged me with doing a giveaway. A year and a half later, I've done giveaways (another one coming soon) and have donated a few times to the seed bank. While my first few seed acquisitions did poorly, I have gotten 3 sprouts from the seed bank's Sarracenia alata 'Night' seeds. I sowed three batches six months or so apart and got one plant each time. Here is the my first ever pitcher plant grown from seed. It is only about 2 inches tall but is doing very well. He will be spending the winter inside having Maxsea pumped down his throat.
Attachments:
CM211003-180443003.jpg
CM211003-180443003.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4166 times
Apollyon, Eventerminator, MaxVft and 5 others liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!