FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
I will be going on vacation for a little less than a week, and I need a method to water my indoor and outdoor cps. For indoor cps, I am planning to use a bowl of water with wicks, but I don't know how wet that keeps the media. Has anyone tried this? What would be a good idea for my outdoor flytraps?
By Rammplins
For the outdoor plants If its only a week I would say the tray method would probably be easiest, a deeper pour than normal should last a week. For the indoor plants there are those aquaglobe things, but I have no idea how well they work with sphagnum or peat.
By CPhunter101
Adding to @Rammplins, the tray method would be best and your indoor/outdoor CPs will be fine with about 1.5 inches of water in their trays. The water will eventually dry up, but not before it hydrates your plants for 3-4 days. The peat moss and LFSM should then last you another 3 days. This should be enough before you return home.
By Panman
Not knowing what you have indoors, you could bag the pots and reduce the light. I did this with my indoor pings and ceph. I put the entire pot in a ziplock bag and sealed it. I then put it where it would get indirect light. They were that way for 10 days with no problems. Think of it like a week of overcast skies.
Apollyon liked this
By albertoburrito
I’ve got a small (6 inch diameter) ventrata, and 3 pots of capes
By albertoburrito
They normally can go a few days without water, so I will just give them more water.
By Apollyon
Make sure to keep them out of full lighting though, that's what is going to drain the pots quickly. I had to also bag my plants when I left on a trip. I made the days shorter and took most of the bulbs out. If you had to, go without. A little etiolated is better than dried up. If someone can't water the outdoor stuff, perhaps put it in the shade for a week.
Panman, albertoburrito liked this
By thepitchergrower
Just put them in a bright shaded spot without any direct sun and give them more water/bag them
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!