FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I'm planning on doing a 'dormancy' period for some of my plants. The idea is to put them under the plant lights with a photo period that runs from sunrise to sunset plus 2 hours to compensate for weaker lights. My intention is to do this for my capes, Mexican pings, Sarracenia rosea, my warm temperate pings, and warm temperate sundews. The dews and pings I feel pretty comfortable with but I would like advice for the rosea. Any thoughts?
By Apollyon
I'm wondering if extending the photoperiod would allow it to go dormant, that's hard. I've had indoor plants go dormant by reducing the photoperiod but I wonder if its the presence of light rather than the quality of light that'll be the main factor there.

Does the Sarracenia need to come indoors?
By Panman
I saw this on the ICPS website, which is why I was going to try it:
Sarracenia psittacina and S. rosea are the species recommended for growing indoors under lights year round. These species along with Sarracenia leucophylla make great heated greenhouse plants. All other Sarracenia can be grown in greenhouses in areas with inadequate summer heat.
My thought is that it is going to get a reduced photo period long term as the timer is based off of sunrise/sunset. Plus, I am going to need to bring in my warm temperate pings so I thought I might add the rosea. Maybe the psittacina.

Does anybody have any experience with these and a short duration (4 days) hard frost?
Apollyon liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!