FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Z_Y
I heard Utricularia arnhemica has some large interesting above ground traps. I remember almost 10 years ago being interested in this plant, but it was very rare in cultivation (aka nobody in NA had any information about it).

I'm wondering if that is still the case today. Does anyone own or know someone who owns this plant?
By Nepenthes0260
The lines between U. arnhemica and U. magna are pretty blurry, and at one point I believe taxonomists thought/still think U. arnhemica doesn't produce the giant surface traps and only U. magna does. Kamil Pasek (BCP) sold U. arnhemica a while back but I believe those turned out to be U. magna (as they produced the giant traps). With BCP's revised offering this fall I see he's selling U. magna with giant traps in the description- http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/in ... -australia . I think this is the same thing he was selling as arnhemica a while back.

People had problems with it melting though, which is why they say "no complaints admitted on this item" now :?. A little bit of an expensive gamble for over 80 USD. I know some growers overseas have had success cultivating and blooming D. magna/arnhemica. May try to purchase it from BCP next month, because that would be a lovely plant to get in circulation here. Need more Aussie utrics! :lol:
Apollyon liked this
By Z_Y
Ah thanks, I didn't know it blurred with U. magna.

If you do manage to ever get it I'd love to see some more photos of these supposed giant above ground traps and if they're as amazing as people say.

When you import from BCP do you just need a phytosanitary certificate for orders under 12 plants?
By Nepenthes0260
Z_Y wrote:Ah thanks, I didn't know it blurred with U. magna.

If you do manage to ever get it I'd love to see some more photos of these supposed giant above ground traps and if they're as amazing as people say.

When you import from BCP do you just need a phytosanitary certificate for orders under 12 plants?
Np. Ex-situ, I've seen some pretty amazing pictures of the giant surface traps, so apparently it can produce them in cultivation as well. Unfortunately after some reading it seems like the species is a strict annual, although I'm thinking the species may be able to be perpetuated by divisions in cultivation.

Ordering from BCP requires a phytosanitary certificate regardless of order size and value, but Kamil takes care of that so it's only a minor cost on your end and no trouble at all. However, recently this year he has started highly recommending USDA import papers and a yellow/green slip directing the parcel to the inspection station. I was under the impression that those USDA ePermits were only necessary for orders over 12 different SPECIES, but apparently @sundewd had issues with importation from BCP last year where the rules are actually USDA papers being required for over 12 INDIVIDUALS. Most BCP portions have near 12 (or over) individual plants, even if they are just listed as "3+". The USDA permits aren't too hard to acquire yourself but do take a bit of time trying to figure out the website :lol:. They're 100% free though.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!