FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Just a quick update on the Ping! Been out of the bag for a week now. It's been growing a lot, and the leaves have a lot of that sticky dew on them now, they look great! Also I can't believe it, the tiny one that looked like a green speck when I got the plant is now catching up to the main plant. I love these things, they're awesome.

The bigger one has two leaves that seem to be turning brown and being sucked back into the plant. I guess that's normal with pings like with other carnivorous plants, where as they grow bigger leaves they take the energy out of their original leaves to fuel further growth?

Also I picked up a Yescom light panel off Amazon along with a timer. I think I'm going to try setting a 14 hour photoperiod when they come. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get the Yescom panel to stick to the top of my ghetto grow box, any ideas? Any clips or anything I should use?

By Apollyon
Well its ridiculously light and has little hangers you can use to rig something up. Wouldn't be surprised if it could be held up with tape even but I would find a way to secure it. It'll be easier to see what I mean when you get it.

Glad the plants are doing good though
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Yeah I think I'll try and secure it, don't wait it crushing my plants!

I dug up the smaller plant and relocated it, it was starting to touch the bigger plant. It was really weird since I tried the plug method with a spoon, and it slightly tipped over and the little tiny roots poked out anyways, so I used some tweezers and a toothpick in the end to gently push it into a divot, since the medium is really rocky.

Both seem to be doing good! They even got the little lips on the edge of the leaves now. Smaller leaves are dying off, but that's normal I think, they keep growing bigger and bigger leaves.

By Nikson
Update: Got the Yescom today and set it up! Just kind of tilted it over the box I keep my plants in, the rubber "sides" are keeping it standing there. This is definitely a huge step up from my gooseneck, I can actually feel heat under the lights.

I fed by ping a dusting of bloodworm yesterday, and it seems like it's kind of shrivelling a bit. Guess the dust pieces were still too big. Hope it got some energy out of it.

By jeff
cyclosecta is from limestone environments, in your substrate it does not appear
for me the zip bag method was not suitable for ping
for my part I do not use artificial light, only daylight
also pay attention to their dormancy which will happen soon

this is what it can give if you do it right ;)
http://pinguicula.free.fr/cyclosecta1.JPG
Nikson liked this
By Apollyon
Well I won't deny that I add lime to my substrate when I do mix it but it isn't "essential" to keep the plants alive. If we're talking about it working or not, the plants have grown significantly and colored up. Some environments aren't conducive to outdoor growing and it has to be replicated as best as possible. Personally, seeing a couple old leaves dessicate on the plant after shocking it back into relative conditions wouldn't freak me out. The plants themselves look healthy overall.

I can't speak for everyone's experiences but I've had cyclosecta recover from next to nothing, grow, and flower in a humidity enclosure throughout its life. Though certainly I can respect the growing methods of other people.

Don't freak out about the plants unless they continue to deteriorate. As you haven't posted on this thread in a few weeks I assume the plants stopped dying back.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
jeff wrote:cyclosecta is from limestone environments, in your substrate it does not appear
for me the zip bag method was not suitable for ping
for my part I do not use artificial light, only daylight
also pay attention to their dormancy which will happen soon

this is what it can give if you do it right ;)
http://pinguicula.free.fr/cyclosecta1.JPG
I actually took it out of the plastic bag a month ago, and it's doing super well! I'll see about picking up some limestone and stuff, I definitely have seen you and other people mention the plants seem to grow better when limestone is added.

I also need to figure out how to do the dry dormancy, since my plants are under a grow light lol. I think you already posted about this in the other thread, but it's mostly just me not watering the plant that triggers the dormancy period, right?
Apollyon wrote:Well I won't deny that I add lime to my substrate when I do mix it but it isn't "essential" to keep the plants alive. If we're talking about it working or not, the plants have grown significantly and colored up. Some environments aren't conducive to outdoor growing and it has to be replicated as best as possible. Personally, seeing a couple old leaves dessicate on the plant after shocking it back into relative conditions wouldn't freak me out. The plants themselves look healthy overall.

I can't speak for everyone's experiences but I've had cyclosecta recover from next to nothing, grow, and flower in a humidity enclosure throughout its life. Though certainly I can respect the growing methods of other people.

Don't freak out about the plants unless they continue to deteriorate. As you haven't posted on this thread in a few weeks I assume the plants stopped dying back.
Yeah no worries now haha, I was just worried I messed up by feeding them, but now they're beautiful! It's wild, the tiny baby plant that was soooo small has now caught up and is the same size as the main one. They're even starting to get a bit of that purple tint that I always saw in pictures. They're still a bit small, but that's not a surprise. Happy with how they're turning out!

The main plant is funny too, for some reason the location I planted it in, its turned into sort of a small mound so its kinda jutting out of the ground compared to the other small one I moved over to the side, which is growing flat against the ground.

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!