FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nocturne
Damn you guys all getting good sizes mine came like this and still spent like 70 bucks…
By Apollyon
Nocturne wrote:Image
Damn you guys all getting good sizes mine came like this and still spent like 70 bucks…
Is that an Eden Black too?

I got mine about the same time as Berry did. I personally keep mine in relative conditions and I fill the adult pitchers with Maxsea (used to do it all the time) but I try to fill the pitchers at least once a week. Here's what it looked like when I got a year ago and what it looks like today. As Berry said, when it kicks off and its ready, it'll really start moving. Mine is throwing out about 18 pitchers right now

ImageImageImage

Don't sweat it. I've had them sit for a long time before doing anything but they grow a lot faster than Helis or Darlingtonia
By Nocturne
Apollyon wrote:
Nocturne wrote:Image
Is that an Eden Black too?

I got mine about the same time as Berry did. I personally keep mine in relative conditions and I fill the adult pitchers with Maxsea (used to do it all the time) but I try to fill the pitchers at least once a week. Here's what it looked like when I got a year ago and what it looks like today. As Berry said, when it kicks off and its ready, it'll really start moving. Mine is throwing out about 18 pitchers right now

ImageImageImage

Don't sweat it. I've had them sit for a long time before doing anything but they grow a lot faster than Helis or Darlingtonia
Very nice looking! Mine is just a BE-3523 plant #12 i got from carnivero(easy guess from the signature small size lol)
Are you guys keeping your ceph on the dry end? I didn’t plant any sphagnum with it cause i heard it likes it dry but its still planted in perlite/peat moss which holds a lot of moisture…maybe i should replant it into peat moss+coconut fiber+lots of perlite?

Think i need like two years before i can show anything..Image
By Apollyon
I actually changed over to sphagnum. My current mix is something like 50/50 LFS/Perlite. If thats not your thing, my peat mix was like 60/40 Sand/Peat with some Perlite. I have some others in peat but I change over on repots. Having the media collapse and break the roots to death kinda convinced me. They all survived but I had to dome them. I have cuttings now I did in a Nep mix with orchid bark just out of curiousity. We'll see how that goes. I tray water mine but keep the water table pretty low and let the media wick up the moisture it needs. It does dry but not too fast. Honestly I'd rather have that with cephalotus anyway. When the tray evaporates I fill it again. Every so often I let it sit for 2-3 days and then I'll water it from the top to flush the minerals out.

I'm not sure what that'll look like when its full grown but I wholehearted endorse filling the adult pitchers with Maxsea. I feel I've seen exponential growth by doing it that way. Particularly after I had an idle Hummer's Giant that sat about 6 months with no movement. I shocked it and then proceeded to fill the pitchers, now adays it grows like that one. I also foliar spray every 1-2 weeks. Everyone has their own way.
Berrybob liked this
By Nocturne
Thanks for the tips guys i will increase drainage and try to feed them when it gets a bit bigger. Also will give them full light like vft.
By Eventerminator
You guys are all lucky. I can't find any of these plants for sale in my country when ironically they grow natively down south of my state :lol:
MaxVft, Berrybob liked this
By tommyr
Eventerminator wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:57 am You guys are all lucky. I can't find any of these plants for sale in my country when ironically they grow natively down south of my state :lol:
Don't feel too bad, they are not always easy to find for us in the U.S. either.
By Apollyon
Yeah and pitcher cuttings as well though the success is iffy. I recently propped this one and a couple other types to see if I was able to. The leaves are a lot easier :/
By tommyr
[quote=thepitchergrower post_id=389311 time=1632885047 user_id=62232]
Yeah, they aren't easy to find. Ive heard that you can propagate them by leaf cutting.
[/quote]

I'm trying that now. It looks like it takes quite a long time for these to strike.

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!