FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Eventerminator
Hello,

I think my Sarracenias have all began to bloom. Not interest in getting seeds from these particular plants but we'll see if they get randomly pollinated.
Flava "Red Tube" x Alata "Red Throat"
Flava "Red Tube" x Alata "Red Throat"
IMG_1074.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2515 times
Unknown Purpurea hybrid
Unknown Purpurea hybrid
IMG_1075.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 2515 times
Panman, MaxVft, Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
I think Sarrs have some of the best looking flowers, if for nothing more than the unique architecture of the bloom.
However, even if they do get pollinated, there's very little chance you'll be getting seeds without a lot of artificial assistance. Sarr seeds take months to cook, some of mine are still cooking six months after pollination.
Unless you were to bring them inside and put them under grow lights with a 16/8 cycle, they'll likely go dormant before the seeds ripen.
Nice pics though, enjoy the blooms for the short time they're in their full glory.
Eventerminator liked this
By MaxVft
ChefDean wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:36 pm I think Sarrs have some of the best looking flowers, if for nothing more than the unique architecture of the bloom.
However, even if they do get pollinated, there's very little chance you'll be getting seeds without a lot of artificial assistance. Sarr seeds take months to cook, some of mine are still cooking six months after pollination.
Unless you were to bring them inside and put them under grow lights with a 16/8 cycle, they'll likely go dormant before the seeds ripen.
Nice pics though, enjoy the blooms for the short time they're in their full glory.
@Dean,
I believe where @Eventerminator lives it is Spring and only the beginning of the growing season, to my knowledge. So he probably has several months for the seeds to ripen before the end of the growing season(which is next June).
Eventerminator liked this
By Eventerminator
@thepitchergrower,

Maybe, but I have not seen any pollinators get inside the flowers successfully yet. The honeybees are only interested at the lavender sand the hover flies are interested at the yellow flower but is too small to get in.

When I get plants I'm interested getting seeds from. I'll definitely hand pollinate them.
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!