FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
My go-to carnivorous plant soil is a 3:1:1 mix of peat moss, perlite, and coarse sand. Over the weekend, I was putting away a couple bags of LFS and rediscovered a bag of sphagnum dregs that I had saved: the little bits of moss that are left in the bottom of a bag (I guess it would officially be called "milled sphagnum"). I needed to pot 2 Sarracenia and 4 flytraps, so I turned them into a minor experiment. I put them in a mix of 3 parts of my soil to 1 part of the dregs. The resulting soil was very light and had an almost spongy feel when I put it in the pots. It should have good aeration qualities. I'm curious to see how well the plants grow in this.
albertoburrito, MaxVft liked this
By MikeB
This is what I'm using:
Sphagnum dregs.jpg
Sphagnum dregs.jpg (884.96 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
It's the little bits and pieces from the bottom of bags of LFS (SuperMoss, Spagmoss, Peruvian and Chilean sphagnum).
CPhunter101, MaxVft liked this
By CPhunter101
That's definitely the milled stuff. It looks wonderful! What does it look like with CPs in it?
There are very few images of milled sphagnum because it's difficult to find or produce.
Most pics are with LFSM, not the milled kind.
By MikeB
CPhunter101 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 am That's definitely the milled stuff. It looks wonderful!
This is naturally milled sphagnum: it fell off the LFS all by itself. I could make my own by taking a handful of moss and rubbing it in my hands until it falls apart.
CPhunter101 wrote: What does it look like with CPs in it?
Since I mix it with my regular CP soil, pot the plant, and put a layer of LFS on top, there's nothing to see. When I picked up the pot, I immediately noticed how much lighter it felt.

A few years ago, I tried to use this stuff as the media for flytrap seeds. I didn't like the end result. When I soaked the milled sphagnum in water and put it in a pot, it had the consistency of clay. I scrapped the idea, tossed the rest of the bag in a box, and promptly forgot about it.
CPhunter101 liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!