FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Well, this was a nice surprise to see.
Earlier this year we received some Drosera capillaris "Bertioga" seeds from our friend Aquis31. For some unknown reason, nobody was able to germinate them but me. Maybe because I waited until the temps were hitting 80°F in the humid, early summer in Tennessee. (OK, I didn't "wait", I forgot they were in my fridge until early summer)
However, I found this yesterday.
20210919_111758.jpg
20210919_111758.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 1753 times
If the temps stay conducive, I may have some fresh seed for the seed bank. So far, the forecast is for warm temperatures for the foreseeable future. Keep your fingers crossed.
MaxVft, Shadowtski, MikeB liked this
By MaxVft
Nice!

Does the 'Bertioga' variety of Capillaris prefer different growing conditions? I germinated my 'Emerald's Envy' seeds in 60-75 degree Temps and am currently growing them in Capensis conditions.
By ChefDean
Bertioga, should be (Bertioga) I guess, refers to it's location data. It comes from the Bertioga area, south east of São Paulo Brazil, so it is used to tropical conditions. That's probably why it did well in the Tennessee summer.
If the local weather stays warm enough to allow the plant to fully do its thing, maybe I'll get enough seeds for you to try some out. It looks like I might have to bring it in for a few days as I will see temps in the mid 40's a few nights, but maybe it'll be warm enough to keep going.
We'll see.
MaxVft liked this
By Apollyon
Nice Dean! I think I might try it out next year during the growing season if you get a good haul. Wonder if they could do year round direct sun here in Florida? I think they'd do pretty good. Fun fact, Tokaiensis can survive unadulterated direct sun here year round in case people want to try it out. Had a hitchhiker with a VFT I bought and I decided to transplant it too. They grew together from tiny plants, I couldn't bear to separate them after its will to live :lol: It's split into like 3 now
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!