FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I don't see any problems. If the while plant liked like that durst leaf I would say there was. If it has new growth that is looking healthy then I wouldn't worry about it. The northern hemisphere is heading into winter so plant growth will slow and summer traps will start dieing back giving way to lower growing and smaller dormancy leaves. This is a general statement. Some cultivars don't behave in this fashion but yours looks like your standard flytrap.
By Panman
Mine stay outdoors year round. The only time I would even worry about them would be with hail. The wind might rough them up a bit but they will recover.
By MaxVft
Panman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 pm Mine stay outdoors year round. The only time I would even worry about them would be with hail. The wind might rough them up a bit but they will recover.
Agreed. There was just a Big rainstorm all night until around noon(right now is 3PM in my area) and the flytraps actually seemed like they liked the extra moisture(rain) and the wind didn't even phase them.
By Panman
One thing to keep in mind when talking about the native weather for flytraps is that if 10% of plants in a local area are killed by a weather event, no one is likely to notice. If I lose 1 of my my flytraps, particularly if it is a cultivar, that is going to be a big deal. Plus, we do not provide the same conditions as wild flytraps, even if we were living in the Green Swamp. The soil, drainage, companion plants, and terrain will all be different. I've seen flytraps growing in areas with grasses where the grass will grow up and shield it in the fall. In certainly not going to let that happen in my pots. :D That being said, flytraps are hardy and can handle many and varying conditions and weather events.

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!