FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Carmine M
My VFT lives on my porch. It really doesn’t get a whole lot of sun. I’m wondering if in the evening I should bring her inside and place under a UV light for 6 hours or so. I live in upstate NY and it’s getting chilly at night. So I have been bringing her inside just at night. So I’m thinking about using a 20w purple UV light for a few hours when I bring it inside. Would that be ok? Any suggestions or advice? Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By MaxVft
If you want your VFT to get full-time light, moving it around everyday would not be the solution. The only way to do what you want it to do is if it is in a stable environment. One of the options is you can bring it indoors under lights full-time and put into refrigerator dormancy come winter.

PS Please don't move your VFT around at night, they HATE being moved back and forth. If it is getting chilly that is fine, the cold is their cue to enter dormancy(right now is the end of the growing season). They can also handle well below freezing for short periods of time.
optique, Panman liked this
By LunaticGazelle
As people above have mentioned, it's not a good idea to move her around. Nevertheless, I can recommend this light in case you decide to go the "moving inside under artificial light" method. https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Spectrum-Ind ... 894&sr=8-5 I've been using it for some months now and all 3 plants I have under it look amazing and healthy. (don't forget a timer for the power outlet so you don't have to manually turn the light on and off)

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!