FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By BigwoORm614
Hi guys, me and my wife are kind of new to Sundew growing. We have done research and thought to give it a go. we ordered one and it arrived in great condition with even some sap still on the leaves when it arrived. we put in a terrarium and just to list we put in layers rock, charcoal, perlite soil, sphagnum. when we started it was obviously a little dry so we added distilled water to the level where rock meets soil. after 4 days in direct sun for about 4-5 hours and a couple more with a grow light i have watched it shrinking in size and fear it is headed fast downhill. humidity levels are around 75-85% i even noticed after freaking out and adding some water and repacking it in. some little white fuzz just on the center. Forgive us if it is something we are doing we feel horrible and are trying to correct it before it is too late....please any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for this forum it is nice to know your out there helping this species.Image
Attachments:
20210911_201132.jpg
20210911_201132.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3820 times
By Z_Y
While sundews like light, direct sun might be a bit much for this one since it looks kind of green. They need to be more red in order to handle more light as the red pigmentation is the sunscreen that protects them. That being said, the plant doesn't look burnt, it just looks like it's in transplant shock.

You said it's in a terrarium? How hot is the terrarium under direct sun? If it's getting above 80F that's probably cooking the plant.

It's hard to tell form the picture but the white fuzz might be normal, sundews have some tuffs of hairs around the growing point.

It's also hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the moss topping you used is a decorative moss and not sphagnum. Is the rest of the potting medium actually sphagnum or is it decorative moss?
By Rammplins
Also what kind of rocks do you have at the bottom? Most rocks will leach minerals that are harmful to sundews. The layer of carbon might help to keep those in check for awhile, but eventually you will have a layer of mineral rich carbon that will surely cause your sundews some problems.
This probably isnt causing the downfall of the plant right now, but it will in the future.
By BigwoORm614
first thank you for a quick response as im in panic mode. direct sun was meaning i keep the terrarium in a shady spot while making sure the sun light is glaring on the sundew keeping the tempature inside down. yes the topper is decorative moss i did not mention it because it was a dressing but yes i have pure sphagnum moss directly under that. i am not sure of the exact temp but i will record that today. after last night feeling like the terrarium not creating enough water to sustain at the start i added more water to the media a lil over 24 hours ago.Image
Attachments:
20210914_090509.jpg
20210914_090509.jpg (817.81 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
20210914_090351.jpg
20210914_090351.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3762 times
By BigwoORm614
i also washed all are media several times for good measure not with tap water but distilled.
By Rammplins
Get him out of there pronto and into his own pot. Capensis(your type of sundew) like to be in media that is nice and damp like a lightly wrung out sponge, sitting constantly in water like that will lead to an unhappy plant then rot. Plus the media layer doesn't seem deep enough.

Pot depth should be at least 4 in, deeper is better, width isn't as important. For media use 3 parts sphag and 1 part perlite. Keep the rocks, charcoal and decorative moss out of there. If your garden area has an area of dappled light or a good spot for morning sun only I would put him there right now until he recovers, after that feel free to throw him in the full sun. If your climate isn't super arid I wouldn't worry about the humidity, in the right media these guys are fairly tough.
By quistes
My GF bought one a few weeks back and it went through the exact same thing. As long as the center is well, it will eventually come back to its form, so don't worry too much for the moment, give it a little more time to get used to its new conditions. Also, do everything Rammplins just said :mrgreen:
Rammplins liked this
By Z_Y
If it's not cooking from being too hot, I think at the moment just let it be.

The quickest way to kill one of these plants imo is over-care. Major things are like moving the plant around too much into different environments, repotting, overfeeding, touching too much, etc. That doesn't mean to say they're fragile and difficult to grow, it's kind of the opposite. They just want to be left alone in a consistent environment.

So I think as long as it's not hot your plant will eventually adjust and grow again if you give it some more time. For watering, just keep it moist, it doesn't have to be soaking wet or soggy. As long as it isn't completely dry it should be fine.

Plants operate on timeperiods of weeks and months. So if it's sad, it'll be sad for a week before it starts perking back up. Usually it will be from new growth, where the new growth will have the right amount of wax or anthocyanins or whatnot for your growing condition and all the current growth will eventually die away.
By CPhunter101
Z_Y wrote:The quickest way to kill one of these plants imo is over-care.
That is 100% true. Aphids, scale, spider mites, and searing hot weather could not touch my plants.
Although, me moving them around the house at all times did! :lol:
RIP Adelae 'Giant'.
By BigwoORm614
Wow....first off thank you all for your valuable insight. everyone's opinion was very helpful. For me all the info has given me better insight to my second guessing and knowing exactly what to do. Also what not to do. i will keep you all informed of the process and again thank you all.
By Rammplins
If it is getting to hot and you need to repot it I wouldn't do a full "bareroot" repot, instead remove it and a 2 inch diameter plug of the media surrounding it at the same time(not the rocks though) then place the plug(snugly) into the media in the new pot. It will probably be sad for 1-2 weeks, but then start to come back bulletproof.

@CPhunter101, Ahh Adelae. The "prissy phoenix". Mine HATED it when I had to move them inside for the winter. I had one die but I removed the top inch of media to let the roots see some light and it came back, then I never moved it again! :lol:
CPhunter101, Panman liked this
By BigwoORm614
Well thank you all for helping me graduate from being a over worried sundew rookie to giving me the knowledge and confidence to be consistent and step up and save this plant. I can easily buy another which I did do, but I have this inner ambition to succeed and not have it DIE...silly but it just kills me to not give it life...not this one. When it felt like I was failing at it and found tons of info online it was not until I came here that it felt like I made it to a hospital a place for real time help. I felt saved, you all made it personal for my plant, and in these times it is nice to know you all cared. Thank you guys for existing in this forum. For the plant I carefully transitioned her/him to the perfect media continued with humidity and lighting I was already doing and added the watering tray for better consistency and " HAVE LEFT IT ALONE" the whole terrarium was new to us just a bad idea for a rookie. Finally I believe it is coming around quite nicely. I quickly realized I needed help...not the plant!!!
Attachments:
20210917_142914.jpg
20210917_142914.jpg (828.56 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
20210917_110903.jpg
20210917_110903.jpg (859.69 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
MaxVft, Panman liked this
By MaxVft
Looking good! Be sure to ask questions, whether small or important, or even if you just wanna chat(in the 'Chit Chat' section)! You are always entitled to have answers to care for your CPs on this forum :D
Panman liked this
By Panman
You have found the right place if you are serious about caring for your plants and getting advice without the trolls you find on social media. The regulars of this forum have MANY years of experience growing these plants in all kinds of conditions and are ready and willing to share their knowledge. There are a couple out there with a rapier wit (I'm looking at you, @ChefDean) but all sincerely desire to see everyone succeed at growing these plants and becoming part of this community.
MaxVft liked this
By BigwoORm614
Hey guys, My Sundew is progressing even faster and better than I could imagine it. The leaves on the plant have started spooning plus I see some baby leaves coming in also. I have heard and read a lot of different opinions about how or why and maybe even when it might start producing mucus. Trying to get the perfect ratio for this to happen is my concern and I value and trust the information I get from you guys. I live in Columbus, Ohio and was wondering if you guys have some insight to what I can do to achieve that, my new sundew came in great shape but also does not have dew yet as for both went threw a travel to get here. Maybe if they are in recovery and looking better they just need time adapt to the new environment and everything is on pace. here is a current pic minutes ago as you can see it is doing remarkable for just a couple days ago it looked so roughed up. Thanks for your help, I am stoked that we got are Original Struggling Dew on the right path and we are waiting on some color and mucus to form the pure beauty and capture the Essence of the Drosera.
Attachments:
20210920_121950.jpg
20210920_121950.jpg (815.22 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!