FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hey everyone, this is my first time trying to grow flytraps from seed, and I was wondering how long is it absolutely necessary to keep the plastic lid on my plastic container, and when would it be safe to permanently remove the lid?

I originally sowed about 30 seeds on 8/25/21 and they started to germinate on 9/6/21(maybe even a day or two earlier). I got about 10 seeds that started to germinate but a few fell through the sphagnum moss and a few others got mold on them. Currently there are 5 seeds that seem to be growing well. (I will attach a picture)

I have read through Matt's guide on how to grow flytraps from seed many times https://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-ven ... from-seed/ but would like to know if I would be safe to permanently remove the plastic lid on my container or would it be more wise to keep it on for a couple more weeks? Does keeping the lid on the container really just benefit keeping humidity in the container and germinating the seeds or is there another purpose?

I'm really not trying to germinate every single seed so that is why I am asking if I would be safe to permanently leave the plastic lid off. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attachments:
FTseedlings9-17-21.JPG
FTseedlings9-17-21.JPG (9.41 MiB) Viewed 2524 times
By Panman
I wait until they have formed their first set of real leaves with traps and then I acclimate them to the lower humidity.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
Panman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:10 am I wait until they have formed their first set of real leaves with traps and then I acclimate them to the lower humidity.
Thanks for the quick reply Panman much appreciated! Is the reason that you wait for the seedlings to have their first set of real leaves with traps before you remove the plastic lid is because they will be stronger and can take more?
By Rachael
I started some VFT seeds on August 18, 2021 and I removed the lid 3 days ago. I planted 10 seeds and they all sprouted but one was covered in mold and it ended up dying. The other 9 are doing fine though. I just make sure they have water in the tray. I planted them in a peat moss mix and it's humid where I live so that might make a difference. Also they're under a covered porch.
By Panman
frankgrimes087 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:31 amThanks for the quick reply Panman much appreciated! Is the reason that you wait for the seedlings to have their first set of real leaves with traps before you remove the plastic lid is because they will be stronger and can take more?
The first leaves are the cotyledons and are mostly formed with the energy stored in the seed. By the time the real leaves have formed, the root is established and supplying the plant with water. The purpose of keeping them covered is so that they don't dry up before they can pull moisture from the soil.
By MaxVft
frankgrimes087 wrote: Thanks for the quick reply Panman much appreciated! Is the reason that you wait for the seedlings to have their first set of real leaves with traps before you remove the plastic lid is because they will be stronger and can take more?
Yes they are much stronger when they start forming traps and plus, if light decides to take a crap they will have an alternative vitamin source.
By frankgrimes087
[/quote]
The first leaves are the cotyledons and are mostly formed with the energy stored in the seed. By the time the real leaves have formed, the root is established and supplying the plant with water. The purpose of keeping them covered is so that they don't dry up before they can pull moisture from the soil.
[/quote]

Ok good to know, you really cleared some things up for me! When the real leaves have formed and the root is established, is that when it is safe to repot the seedling? Do you personally repot at this point or just keep them in the same container for some time? Thanks for taking the time for answering my questions Panman you have been a huge help! Like I mentioned before this is my first time trying to grow flytraps from seed and I think I really am making things more complicated than they are lol... I guess I just want everything to go perfect haha but I know that's not always the case.

And thanks Rachael for posting your experience with growing from seed! Any suggestions helps out a lot!
Rachael liked this
By Panman
My repotting really has more to do with how crowded they are rather than how big they are. I've transplanted them when they were tiny and I have waited until they were bigger. When I transplant I do cover them for a few days with a plastic bag for a few days so that the roots have a chance to settle in.
By frankgrimes087
Panman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:48 am My repotting really has more to do with how crowded they are rather than how big they are. I've transplanted them when they were tiny and I have waited until they were bigger. When I transplant I do cover them for a few days with a plastic bag for a few days so that the roots have a chance to settle in.
Good to know for future reference. Well I definitely have learned a lot, you guys are awesome! I will continue to keep my container covered and wait for the first set of real leaves with traps and then will remove cover. I am not sure yet if I will repot or just keep them in the same container when the time is right but we will see. Thanks again everyone for your help! If anyone else has anything they would like to add please do so! 8-)
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!