FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I'd like to thank Xanthoparmelia for his latest donation, and it's a humdinger y'all!
Normally, with a donation this cool, I would wait until the first of the month to announce, but one of the donations is said to have a short shelf life. Plus, everything I've researched about them indicates that an 8 week stratification is highly suggested for best germination, which cuts into its shelf life. Now, without further ado...
Panman, xanthoparmelia, elaineo and 2 others liked this
By ChefDean
Sorry, internet blinked.
Now, without further ado...

Just kidding.
Xanthoparmelia has donated four packs of S. oreophila, the number one most endangered Sarracenia. These are fresh, literally harvested within the past week, so there should be some really good germination with a proper stratification.
He has also donated two packs of Cephalotus follicularis. I don't think these have ever been in inventory before, so they are a nice treat. Everything I've read indicates that these do best with an eight week stratification for best results.
I don't need to say that this is a very cool donation, but I will. This is a very cool donation!
Due to their extremely rare availability, these seeds are immediately available to donors only for the next five days. They will be available to all eligible members after that.
Thank you Xanthoparmelia for your continued, and considerable, generosity.
sundewd, Panman, Shadowtski and 4 others liked this
By NightRaider
ChefDean wrote:oreophila
ChefDean wrote:donors only for the next five days
And to think, here I was hoping I might not have to spend a couple weeks next summer driving clear across the continent to go beat down Mike Wang's door for some.
MaxVft liked this
By ChefDean
NightRaider wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 pm And to think, here I was hoping I might not have to spend a couple weeks next summer driving clear across the continent to go beat down Mike Wang's door for some.
With the oreophila, you might not have to. There's a chance that there might be some left come Tuesday.
By MaxVft
Koolza! My intermedia got delayed, so I should be able to get them sent to the bank by next Thursday.
By CPhunter101
Hmmm... I have an oreophila flower, but I'm not sure how to pollinate it.
Self pollinating has less germination rates right?
By ChefDean
CPhunter101 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:39 pm Hmmm... I have an oreophila flower, but I'm not sure how to pollinate it.
Self pollinating has less germination rates right?
It's probably too late in the year to pollinate it anyway, their seeds take months to cook and ripen.
However, check this out for next year. https://youtu.be/ug3_JJlJmI0
By MikeB
With a little luck, I'll have some Sarracenia oreophila seeds to add to the pool soon. 4 of my new plants bloomed this spring, and I hand-pollinated them. However, I'm not sure if it was successful. I saw little-to-no pollen on the style (the upside-down umbrella part), unlike all of my other Sarracenia, which had gobs of pollen. The seed pods haven't ripened yet, so the verdict is still out.
By Apollyon
Supercazzola wrote:I need to learn not to use up my credit each month. :-(
Same here, I'm just going to hold on for the inevitable much cooler donation at the middle/end of the month :lol: Oreo is definitely on the list, especially a SG
Supercazzola liked this
By CPhunter101
ChefDean wrote:It's probably too late in the year to pollinate it anyway, their seeds take months to cook and ripen.
However, check this out for next year. https://youtu.be/ug3_JJlJmI0
Thanks ChefDean! I'll see if I can produce some seeds next spring (for the seedbank).
For some odd reason, both my Oreophila var. Oreophila and Oreophila x Flava decided to flower in late summer.
By ChefDean
In the meantime, don't cut them unless they dry up. There's always a chance that they'll get pollinated by insects, and where you live might stat warm enough for them to do their thing.
By Supercazzola
I notice all my summer flowers do not make the pollen quantity that the spring flowers do. I’m guessing heat / stressed induced flowers are sort of an afterthought.
Panman liked this
Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!