FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

Just got another huge thunderstorm last night that literally threw tons of perlite and sand out of my carnivorous plant pots, caking the leaves with peat moss as well. Getting tired of that happening, so I figure I should get some LFSM to cover the peat moss layer of my plants so that stops happening.

Does the quality of the LFSM matter in that regard? I was thinking of just getting some cheap Mosser Lee Sphagnum moss from Home Depot to cover the peat moss layer. Not planning on using it as a growing medium, so does it matter the quality?
By Panman
I think it is the same price but get the Better Gro moss from Lowes. It is very good.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BETTER-GRO-Orc ... x/50284907
Nikson, MaxVft liked this
By bcavanau
Yes, it is fine for all things carnivorous related.

Additionally Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. may be out from time to time. You can usually find it at pet stores as well, where it is used for reptiles, although it does cost a bit more there.
Nikson liked this
By Panman
I've got 2 bags of the Mosser moss and I'm going to use it as the substrate to grow my live sphagnum on.
By CPhunter101
Panman wrote:I've got 2 bags of the Mosser moss and I'm going to use it as the substrate to grow my live sphagnum on.
Mosser Lee's tends to dries out quikly and doesn't create a very humid environment.
To create a wetter, more bog like environment for my live moss, I use a substrate of 100% peat moss.
A thin layer of 1-3 inches should be enough.
Nikson, MikeB liked this
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:27 pm I think it is the same price but get the Better Gro moss from Lowes. It is very good.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BETTER-GRO-Orc ... x/50284907
Grab the Better-Gro sphagnum moss while you can. All of the Home Depot and Lowe's stores around me are out of stock with no idea when they might get more.
Panman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 pm I've got 2 bags of the Mosser moss and I'm going to use it as the substrate to grow my live sphagnum on.
Keep us informed on how that works out. I stopped using Mosser Lee years ago. I found that it broke down quickly and turned into a nasty mess. I hope you have better results.
Nikson liked this
By MikeB
Hang94 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:01 pm get the supermoss brand 2.4lb bale from amazon for 25$
+1 on that. I buy the big bags of SuperMoss and use it on all of my pots. My plants have sat through hurricane downpours without losing any soil or moss.
Hang liked this
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!