FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By francisfaustino
I'm trying out something new with the 'Eden Black'. I took one of the divisions from last year and transferred it to a bigger pot and set it outside. I've never grown cephalotus exposed to the elements but I believe this is a good time to acclimate it outside since the weather is already starting to get cool. I didn't disturb the medium it was already potted in so I'm not really expecting it to sulk as much as it did last year when I re-potted. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I really need to grow them outdoors because they grow so fast and I'm quickly running out of space indoors.
20210903_103649-2.jpg
20210903_103649-2.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3148 times
By Apollyon
Haha, just curious where do you live? I thought about trying that myself but people always talk about the temperatures going too high can be dangerous. One of my divisions turned out less than stellar but I do want to try it when my cuttings strike. I've noticed people just baby their plants or don't want to risk it. You're not kidding about the growth though. My EB division I got from you is putting out another 15 pitchers or so. It's about to cover the entire hydropot in about a month
By francisfaustino
I live in North Georgia zone 7B. Yes, I don't think they will be able to handle summer full sun outside and freezes in the winter. My plan for this pot is to monitor it very closely for the next few weeks and if it's obvious that it's not going to make it, I will expand my indoor setup to accommodate it. If it makes it through fall and winter, I will have to shade it from the full sun next summer. It has been in full sun today since this morning and everything still looks ok. The last time I put a cephalotus under the sun, pitchers started drying out even before the day was over (although that plant only had juvenile pitchers).
By Apollyon
Wondering if they'd do alright in total moss and tray watered if drying out is a factor. Curious how long it takes to actually acclimate one.
By francisfaustino
I'm actually not too worried about the media drying out. Even those smaller 5"x5"x7" Hydro pots with no water trays, it takes at least a couple of days during the hottest days of summer between waterings. In the bigger 10" wide x 9" tall pot, I don't think drying out will be a problem. What I'm worried about is when ambient temperatures is at around 95F, the temperature directly under the sun reaches up to 140F. Which is why I'm thinking of just putting them under a shade during the hottest periods or getting a shade cloth.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Nice idea. I'm kinda jealous. We'll get those temperatures here but we don't get anything for a drop off. Lowland Neps would be great if it didn't get to 30 degrees one day a year :lol: Honestly I put my Neps and Philodendrons outside during the summer. They seem to dig it.
francisfaustino liked this
By francisfaustino
I just remembered this photo from earlier in this thread. This was from May 2020 when I divided the plant and it sulked badly.
20200512_073436.jpg
20200512_073436.jpg (833 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

This is the same pot 2 days ago just before I divided it again. The plant did not start from scratch on the May 2020 photo. The root on that when I re-potted was massive, but I'm still amazed how much foliage it grew in 16 months once it settled. I'm much more comfortable this time dividing the Eden Black because I have a few more mother pots. This was my biggest one though. I'm also expecting much better coloration in the future due to the light upgrade I bought a few days ago.
20210908_132338.jpg
20210908_132338.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3041 times
20210908_132559.jpg
20210908_132559.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 3041 times
By Apollyon
Awesome job! Mine looks very similar right now. I'm just impressed with how fast it grows overall honestly. How many plants did you get from it? I'm seeing how my HG separation pans out before I get crazy with this one
By francisfaustino
I got a good amount this time. The 4 Hydro pots in the back all have long roots attached to them so I'm confident in those. The 6 in the terracotta colored plastic pots all have rhizomes but no roots. I feel good about them as well because according to my notes from when I last divided, only 1 of the 8 division pots had roots, yet, all struck successfully. The 2 smaller green round pots in the middle of the tray contains just roots. They broke off accidentally and I'm not sure if they will work for propagation but I didn't want to just throw them away. The 8 white small square pots in the back are all the pitchers or small stems that came off during the process. Most of them are practically just pitcher pullings. I don't have much hope for those because I've never had any success with pitcher pullings in the past.
20210908_184354.jpg
20210908_184354.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3037 times
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I threw mine out in the elements since its the lowest temperatures I can give them for winter. They adapted though. Interestingly enough, outside they like to have their lids open at night and early day. At first I thought it was water but the pots are hydrated so ehhh. Yours is looking good again!
francisfaustino liked this
By TrapsAndDews
Very nice plants.
Apollyon wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:00 pm Interestingly enough, outside they like to have their lids open at night and early day.
Wait, cephalotus can move their lids? (I don't know much about cephalotus)
By thepitchergrower
The lids move due to the air humidity. If the humidity is low, the lids close to preserve the enzymes.
By Savethetrees4life
Great timeline very helpful and it’s amazing that pitcher produced so much digestive fluid maybe it needs some Tums or Pepto Bismuth lol
Last edited by Savethetrees4life on Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Apollyon
thepitchergrower wrote:The lids move due to the air humidity. If the humidity is low, the lids close to preserve the enzymes.
That's true they do it to preserve moisture but where they are right now is more humid than it was inside so there are other factors at play. Granted, it is generally more humid at night than during the daytime. It's just odd that they never demonstrated any of that while on a timer. Maybe the plant registers intense light from the sun and responds by closing the lids. I'm not sure I'll do it again though unless I see some serious growth when the sun is back :/
thepitchergrower liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!