FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Carmine M
I’ve had my Venus Fly Trap since late June. I’d like to transplant her into a larger pot. As you can see here in my picture the plant is receiving constant water with this set-up. It seems to really work well, but I think she needs more room to grow. I have an 8 inch pot I’d like to use. Would that work for now? Should I try to give the plant constant water like my original set up? Or is regular watering ok? Any advice is truly appreciated. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Rammplins
Well it's not going hungry, that's for sure!

If you want to repot either cut that flower stalk or wait until it is done flowering and making seed, flowering can be stressful on a plant and so is repotting. He looks nice and healthy it would probably be fine, but I err on the side of caution.

Going to a bigger pot is never a problem for VFT's, the roots would probably appreciate it. With a pot that big though regular watering (from the bottom) would probably be best. I know some people swear by keeping them in water at all times, but I feel like you are just inviting future problems. I would only leave them in water if you live in an arid/dessert environment.
By steve booth
It seems quite happy for now, I would repot in spring as it comes out of dormancy and split it if there are a number of rhizomes. They appreciate deep pots and standing in about an 1" of water during the growing season.
It looks like more sun if you can manage it wouldnt go amiss.

Good luck
Cheers
Steve
By Cryosis7
There's a lot of heads there, it's quite possible it's divided and you've actually got multiple plants growing in one pot.

Check where the leaves are coming from and how many bases there are. In that case you could probably seperate and place the original back in the same pot

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

By MikeB
I'm a big fan of putting multiple flytraps in large pots. I would wait until winter, when the plants are dormant, then unpot and divide them. Spread them out in your 8-inch pot so they have lots of "elbow room"; this encourages them to multiply. Get a saucer for your pot that's at least 0.75 inches deep, and you're good to go.
tommyr liked this

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!