FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
For those of you who grow in large outdoor bogs or kiddie pools, how do you keep the water from getting filthy? I grow in small water trays right now, but have to scrub them out weekly due to accumulation of dead insects, bird poop, tadpoles (?!), wind-blown debris, and general muck.

Thinking about switching to a larger tub and installing an aquarium pump/filter... any ideas?
By optique
I have just always over flowed the water every so often, but my tap is safe so i have water to spare. this year i put water spangles in the shallow water, they really seem to help.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
optique wrote:I have just always over flowed the water every so often, but my tap is safe so i have water to spare. this year i put water spangles in the shallow water, they really seem to help.
Cool idea! I remember in a previous thread you were adding various aquatic plants... are water spangles the best? Gonna order some now :D
By optique
Spangles seem to be the perfect size, small for shallow water but not so small you cant remove them all like duckweed. I prefer the looks of frog-bit from the top and dwarf water lettuce from below aka aquarium. Both get 10 inch roots so not good for very shallow water.

ImageImage
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
Water spangles = Salvinia species, which are classified as floating ferns. It's nice in aquariums, makes the surface-dwelling fish very happy. It also makes a good breeding ground for mosquitoes, so be sure to sprinkle some mosquito bits in the water trays every month during the warmer parts of the year.

Don't let any of these plants get into your local waterways; they can become an invasive pest with little effort.
elaineo liked this
By optique
MikeB wrote:Don't let any of these plants get into your local waterways; they can become an invasive pest with little effort.
Very true, floating ferns spreading out of control are directly responsible for the cooler climate of the earth leading to warm blooded life. check out the "azolla event"

elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Salvinia is working surprisingly well. I thought the TDS would be higher because many of my spangles rotted, but I just measured 30 TDS in the tray with spangles, and 54 TDS in the tray without spangles. Water has been topped up multiple times with ~15 TDS RO water. Thanks @optique, you have the best ideas :)
optique liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!