FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By EASYpeazzyyy
I've decided to try using Azoxystrobin for my VFTs since they've been looking more yellow than green these days, and I've read that Azoxystrobin has a significant greening effect. the question is that I don't have access to the type of Azoxystrobin found in other cases, what I have is a 25% suspension fluid, I was wondering if anyone knows how to calculate the mixing rate, also what's the proper application method? do I just mix it up and water the plants with them till excess drain out from the bottom of the pot or do I spray the leaves? and how often should I apply it?
By elaineo
Scott's DiseaseEx is 00.31% azoxystrobin, mixed at about 5g per liter. There are other additives so I dilute based on TDS, and mix with water until I have about 100 TDS.
If your plants are yellow, they need more light. Azoxystrobin makes reddened (sunburned) plants turn green.
By EASYpeazzyyy
albertoburrito wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:36 am Why are the leaves yellowish? What is your care?
my current setup is 45w*2(90w total) full spectrum LED panel at 8in distance, 16hrs a day, the yellowing effect started happening when I took my plants outside for some real sunlight, they seem to start fading from vibrant green to like a yellowish-green with the base of the leaves turning red as well as some black spots on the leaves(not the traps). my preliminary assessment is sunburn, thus I decided to try Azoxystrobin
By MikeB
I see "vibrant green" flytraps in locations with less intense light, like in a greenhouse that has the milky-translucent plastic. Flytraps that are outside in direct sun tend to be more yellow-green (except for the all-green cultivars). This color is caused by the production of red pigment in the petioles and traps (If you mix equal amounts of green and red, you get yellow). It's normal for flytraps in unfiltered sunlight.
By MikeB
elaineo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:38 pm
MikeB wrote:(If you mix equal amounts of green and red, you get yellow).
Yellow like this? (grown in unfiltered sunlight)
Yellow-green like Matt's Wally plants
versus vibrant green like his Grün plant.
(Of course, Grün is going to look like this in the sun because it has no red pigment.)

The last time I saw this in cultivation was at my friend's greenhouses last month. The flytraps that sat outside were all yellow-green. The new B52s that were inside a greenhouse (covered in the milkly-translucent plastic) were all vibrant green. Unfiltered/unaltered sunlight brings out their true colors.
By EASYpeazzyyy
man, why does every pic I see on the internet look better than my plants, mine are yellowish, but not like this healthy-looking yellow, but like green being bleached yellow, at some part of the leaves the color is so light that the leaves almost seem transparent
By elaineo
EASYpeazzyyy wrote:man, why does every pic I see on the internet look better than my plants, mine are yellowish, but not like this healthy-looking yellow, but like green being bleached yellow, at some part of the leaves the color is so light that the leaves almost seem transparent
Post a picture :)
MikeB liked this
By tommyr
Don't waste your time with Azoxystrobin. I experimented with it 2 years ago. It does nothing for the plant. It made zero difference in color or growth. As a fungicide it's probably fine but as a so called "growth enhancer"/"color enhancer" it's pure nonsense. IMHO.
By Apollyon
Well, idk how effective it'll be one way or the other but I do have an example of what it did do my Drosera Regia. I'm almost positive they're identical clones of the same age but something to keep in mind is the greener one was also recently transplanted and it was shocked fairly hard, which I believe is part of the reason it's new leaves are smaller/greener. I gave it Scott's Disease EX as a fungicide after the transplant. Historically though, it remember it doing something like this after being treated last year. Your growing conditions and lighting could be causing your color like they said. Hopefully it isn't an overwatering issue. Either way, doesn't hurt to try.
Attachments:
20210917_114418.jpg
20210917_114418.jpg (5.1 MiB) Viewed 3947 times
elaineo liked this
By francisfaustino
Your problem might be acclimation related when you move the plants to sunlight. My experience have been that VFTs are less likely to color when exposed to excess heat. An 80F ambient day temp can easily exceed 120F under direct sunlight.

I've tried Azoxyatrobin for a few seasons. It doesn't hurt to do it but my experience is that it's pointless. I did not see any difference in growth nor colorations in the plants from seasons when I applied Azoxyatrobin and the seasons when I did not. If you're having issues with the plants, I wouldn't expect Azoxyatrobin to do anything. Identifying the issues, correcting them, and proper care are best for the plants.
tommyr liked this
By Z_Y
I'd like to see someone with an actual controlled experiment with dosed and non-dosed comparisons. Also, IMO the leaf color doesn't really indicate much. It's difficult to say whether a lighter or darker color is healthier for a plant. I mean if we never seen a plant before we might assume that red coloration means less healthy since the plant is technically stressed and spending energy on pigments that don't improve reproductive success.

That being said, Azoxyatrobin completely removed all mold from my pot of flower stalk cuttings. All the cuttings that didn't take were molding up and starting to spread from my cuttings that were still green, but after flooding my pots with Azoxyatrobin all the mold went away and never came back. I'm pretty satisfied with it in that regard.

I'll probably do another dose on my mature plants before dormancy. Last year I used Bayer 3-in-1 and it was a horrible experience since it made all my traps weirdly curved (see this post: post388370.html) probably due to the Tebuconazole. I've since then used that on my cephs, but it also seems to do nothing at all against powdery mildew.
By Apollyon
Yeah, unfortunately you'd need many identical clones that are similar in vigor. I've done too much damage to my plants to be able to get an actual sample. Personally I don't feel like the color would make much of a difference. Sure it probably expends some energy to "protect" itself but who's to say it would have put it towards growth instead. What I do like is how it usually does emphasize the green some, similar to how plants look after it rains really well. Tons of other factors would attribute to leaf health and color though. I'm on the other side where I'm trying to bring out colors in my plants :lol:

That's a smart way of handling cuttings. I've been plucking out leaves that are turning as I go but I'm probably not growing them to the same extent. I've been on a cephalotus prop kick (trying to get pitcher strikes but like others I'm getting 80% leaf 0% pitchers so far. couple are still alive though).

The 3 in 1 info is also interesting. My flytraps had a bad season and I believe they're already entering dormancy. Limited vertical growth this year. At first it was a pest but I did use 3 in 1 throughout the season and I had some weird traps too. Not as emphasized as those but not right either. I attributed it to some persistent insects or tray watering (progressive ppm damage) but I'm wondering if the chemicals stunted them as well. Last year I had insane growth.

Always learn something from your posts @Z_Y :lol:
By francisfaustino
I agree that without a controlled side by side test, no one can no for sure if it makes a difference in growth and color. But yes, I still use Azoxystrobin mainly for ceph cuttings and divisions where I've previously had issues with mold when I try to keep them moist enough to prevent drying. I also use it on small VFT propagation pots that I tend to keep much wetter than bigger pots.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!