FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By bcavanau
I have a 'Colorado Giant' that started to grow a flower stalk recently. I think it is the right height to cut and try to put in soil...but it got me wondering.

Can I do the same thing with water? I know you can use leaf pullings, etc., but would this work in water as well? Or is soil still my best bet?

I haven't done any water propagation so far, so not sure. Any help, tips or tricks would be appreciated.
colorado_giant.jpg
colorado_giant.jpg (4.82 MiB) Viewed 2837 times
Jackpurps liked this
By Jackpurps
I believe you can do it by placing the stem into sphagnum moss that’s wet and placed under lights. I think you should let the stem get a bit longer and cut it before it blooms. I’ve heard if it blooms it’s too late.
Rammplins liked this
By Rammplins
agreed. I have always used the sphagnum method and it works fairly well, if you have live sphag the success rate is even higher. Just be sure to use a razorblade or something similar to cut it and not scissors. The longer the flower stem the more places it has a chance to strike, but as Jackpurps said once it blooms your chances of it striking go from like 50% to 5%.

I have no idea if it would work with water, you can always give it a go. The only thing you would be losing if it doesn't work is a flower stem.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!