FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
MikeB wrote:
elaineo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:51 am @MikeB is there a good place to buy different species of live sphagnum? Hoping to try some different cultivars...
I don't see many people selling live sphagnum moss. Of the ones that do, their moss is usually green. Matt occasionally has sphagnum moss for sale, but he's out of stock at this time.

I bought my moss from an eBay seller called "ads.ink". He doesn't have any moss for sale right now; that shows up in the fall and winter. He'll have anywhere from 5-15 listings at a time. I don't know if these are different species or just different color varieties.

I did a quick look on eBay and Etsy and found these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373662828902
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1031345179 ... agnum-moss

The eBay seller has good feedback. I've never purchased anything from that Etsy seller.
Oh yeah, I have plenty of the generic green stuff. I was just wondering if there are sellers with specific species or named cultivars, if that is a thing in the sphag world :)

I'll put the ads.ink seller on my watchlist, thanks!
By MikeB
elaineo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:38 pmOh yeah, I have plenty of the generic green stuff. I was just wondering if there are sellers with specific species or named cultivars, if that is a thing in the sphag world :)
I don't think there are enough sphagnum aficionados to make cultivars (at least, not yet). There is a sphagnum moss sub on Reddit.
Apollyon, elaineo, MaxVft liked this
By Apollyon
Very nice especially for the price! I found some red heads in some really thick sphagnum I bought in the past that I tediously separated. Hoping to see if I can get a collection of the stuff too. Might give up and buy some from ebay :lol:

Spray a small amount of Maxsea on the stuff every so often, like once a month to prevent it burning. The little feed goes a long way. Hoping to never buy besgrow again
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:13 pm Meadowview Biological Research has red and green available but they are pricey.
Meadowview Biological Research Station
Online Catalog - Associate Bog Plant

Red and Purple select Sphagnum
Gallon size zipper bag : $40.00
Sandwich size zipper bag : $30.00

Green Sphagnum moss
Gallon size zipper bag : $20.00
Sandwich size zipper bag : $15.00

Super select compact sphagnum
$45.00

Members get a 25% discount. The proceeds go to support the biological research station (may help to make the prices a bit less painful...).

If the red and purple moss is a nice as what the picture shows, I might spring for a gallon bag just so I can propagate it myself.
Supercazzola, elaineo liked this
By Panman
MikeB wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:59 pm If the red and purple moss is a nice as what the picture shows, I might spring for a gallon bag just so I can propagate it myself.
I was thinking the same thing.
By MikeB
elaineo wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:21 am I'm kinda curious about the "super select compact sphagnum"... $45 though :?
It looks a lot like my "North Carolina native" moss (see the picture in this post). It isn't the loose, fluffy sphagnum that forms deep mounds. It's tighter/denser moss and grows much slower, a better kind to use with flytraps and sundews as it doesn't try to swamp them in just a couple months.
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
I just ordered a gallon bag of Meadowview's red and purple sphagnum ($40 + $13 shipping :!: ). I'll let y'all know if it lives up to the picture on their web site.
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
FYI - I was skimming the carnivorous plants on eBay and spotted this:

Carnivorous Companion Red West Coast Sphagnum Moss, 1 gallon / 2.2 lbs.
Starting bid is $15.00
Shipping is $15.50
Auction ends Friday evening, August 20th
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154571040552
Red sphagnum.jpg
Red sphagnum.jpg (180.83 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
elaineo, MaxVft liked this
By elaineo
CPhunter101 wrote:That's a great deal, but the bidding...
You may or may not win the moss.
Someone should give it a try though (I would like to see the quality).
I'll go for it if no one else speaks up. If someone else wants it, please announce it here so I won't get in a bidding war with you :)

GAHHHHH @MikeB is the worst enabler ever :(
Panman, MikeB liked this
By Supercazzola
That is Dean Cook selling that. I've bought plants from him before. The auctions usually get swept away from me at the last moment, though. there are folks who wait til the last microsecond and bit. Contact him directly and see if he has some he will sell to you without the auction. It might be more that the starting bid, but you can be guaranteed to win it.
By MikeB
My gallon bag of red/purple sphagnum moss from Meadowview Botanical station arrived today:
Bag.jpg
Bag.jpg (538.23 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
I unpacked the bag and gave it a once-over:
Contents 1.jpg
Contents 1.jpg (443 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
Contents 2.jpg
Contents 2.jpg (714.41 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
There were multiple clumps of moss in the bag, so I had to separate and unfold them. I removed a bunch of grass, twigs, leaves, pieces of dead Sarracenia pitchers, and two maple seedlings. After I was finished, I ended up with two 1020 trays of moss:
Unpacked - tray 1.jpg
Unpacked - tray 1.jpg (518.85 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
Unpacked - tray 2.jpg
Unpacked - tray 2.jpg (465.22 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
It's about 50/50 red and green. Some of it is very red, impressive considering that it was growing outside in Virginia's heat and humidity:
Unpacked - close-up.jpg
Unpacked - close-up.jpg (772.45 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
I also found 8 first-year Sarracenia seedlings in the moss:
Sarracenia seedlings.jpg
Sarracenia seedlings.jpg (264.35 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
I have no idea what species/hybrid they are. I potted them and stashed the pot in a shaded area.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!