FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Jackpurps
Hello, had some questions about dormancy. All my dormancy required carnivorous plants are grown indoors under a full spectrum growing light 12hrs a day. Purpurea Venosa, Red Dragon Flytrap, Cobra Nest, and Purpurea Purpurea. My first winter is approaching in a few months and I want my dormancy required plants to get the proper rest they need.
I live in a coastal city in hardy zone 10 that on average gets temperatures from 69 F to 49 F during the winter. Will my plants thrive in this condition if I gave it less hours of grow lights and less amount of water? How many hours of light should I give them from my grow lights during the winter? Growing outdoors isn’t an option and neither is the refrigerator method. I was thinking about sticking the pots into a high quality insulation ice box with ice at the bottom and grow lights over as this should bring the temperature down to the 40s to 30s. Plastic separating the pots from the ice. Would this be a good idea if my zone isn’t able to let them thrive? Thank you.
By CPhunter101
You should give your CPs 14 hours of light in fall and 12 hours in winter.
Less water is also apropriate for their dormancy.
I don't think you will require an insulated ice box for for your CPs' dormancy as long as the temps stay cool.
Jackpurps liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!