FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Maurice Haney
So I know that compared to others in the past that I must have finally done it right this time cause they are still growing and pretty good to me I think.. Watching videos of growers who have greenhouses full of thriving plants as well as my own tweaks I have tried and continued doing cause it seems to have been a good decision for both me and the plants...

My care routine consists of..
1.. Each night and each morning I spray them from above with water in a fine mist.. To me its mimicking rain and morning due.. The plants seem to of took off after doing this and became green more deeply as well as a chance for me to wash them off from dust and the debris of that day... So they are perfect for the next day..

2.. The soil I did half and half consisted of peat moss and beach sand from the store not from actual beach myself.. I mixed moss in as well from around my area for extra water holding.. Plus to allow the dirt to not become compact over time..
I also placed moss around the plant for extra care for the traps not to be directly on the dirt plus for looks as well..

3.. This may be odd but from having planted tanks and such I have come to like having cleaners do the cleaning for me that been said I have 3 worms in the container as well cause they eat the dead leaves and put tunnels throughout the container for air to be constantly flowing through the tunnels so no need for me to fluff the dirt anymore or clean been working out perfectly..

4.. As soon as I see a trap start to lose its prime I take it off the plant just the trap and leave the leaf while its green and healthy so it continues to just be a leaf for photosynthesis to continue this I think has helped the plants extremely as any other debris is handled by the worms at night..

5.. This I still and trying to determine as a do or don't but for now its working out look wise and health wise for the plant. I have placed a screen mesh over the plants during the day due to a crazy literally crazy amount of flies that completely overcome the plants, the first day I put them out starting the full sun schedule I'm now on when I came to check the plants about 2 hours later they was completely full.. This I mean every head possible that was able to shut did and had a fly in them.. Just one plant alone had 11 traps 10 of them was triggered and had a fly inside just for ref.. I didn't know if it would benefit the plants or harm the plants so to be sage I put the screen over and left the sides open do now instead of 100 % flies able to get to them about 10% can making it harder to get to the traps so they at least have a chance to grow out and open before having a fly and just opened up I noticed it affected the growth of the trap if not just defected the whole leaf making it deformed..

6.. I try to not shadow them as I did before and let them do naturally as they should in the pictures I'll attach I have the following plants going from biggest left to right

*2 typical.. plants from food city that's turned out the biggest so far amazingly..
*1 called (red jaws).. From carnivorousplantresorce online
*1 called petite dragon.. Deep red color Purchased same time and place as above..
* petite dragon × petite dragon same place as above that's a green color so I'm confused as to the names thinking dude had mixed them up when writing the label I don't know but they look completely different...
By Maurice Haney
20210810_012335.jpg
20210810_012335.jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
Attachments:
20210810_012500.jpg
20210810_012500.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
20210810_012406.jpg
20210810_012406.jpg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
By ChefDean
Looks nice, keep doing what you're doing.
However, I wouldn't worry about screening the traps. Flies don't eat Flytraps, so they're harmless, and Flytraps can't overeat.
As to your Petite Dragon x Petite Dragon, it is not a true Petite Dragon. When a VFT flower is pollinated, you're getting a soup of 20,000+ genes, giving you millions of potential outcomes. Throw in gene alleles, and you're looking at trillions of potential characteristics being expressed. As such, any seed grown is officially a typical as it is not genetically identical to either parent. But it has a small chance of being a new cultivar if you can identify stable, reproducible characteristics unique to it.
Panman, MaxVft liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!