FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Em-thenepentheslover
Hi! So I’m new to this forum, but I have been growing carnivorous plants for a little over a year now. I made this topic because my sarracenia flava cuprea “Bill Hoyer” is producing oddly small pitchers. When I first got the plant(sometime this spring), it had one pitcher, and it wasn’t so big, but it looked proportional to itself. The second pitcher it made also looked normal. But the third fourth and fifth ones have all gotten taller than the original two, but they are also much skinnier and the mouths are also smaller. Also the tubes of the pitchers are curved and they are not standing straight up. I don’t see any signs of pests on the plant, does anyone know what could be wrong? It’s in a sun porch so it gets lots of sun, and it’s always sitting in a tray of distilled water.
By Em-thenepentheslover
I don’t know how it wouldn’t be getting enough sun, the porch is south facing and is all glass windows and it’s always super sunny in there, but perhaps it needs even more than that. I have a different sarracenia in the porch too and that one is thriving. Okay so I included a picture of the whole plant(I took it out of the water tray for the picture) a close up picture of one of the good pitchers, and a close up picture of one of the bad pitchers.
Attachments:
Bad pitcher
Bad pitcher
image.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 4046 times
Good pitcher
Good pitcher
image.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 4046 times
Whole plant
Whole plant
image.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 4046 times
By Panman
Oh, it's a baby! I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't even putting off adult pitchers yet. Plus, flava will start slowing down soon and start putting off phyllodia. The color looks good on it, so you are right, it is getting enough light. Give it good light and water and next season you will start to see some really good pitchers.

On a side note, you might want to weed out that pot a little bit. If it is grass, pull it all. If it is utricularia, thin it out so that the rhizome of the sarr can get some air.
Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
It's still small, and will get bigger if given the opportunity to do so. However, it should still be outside for optimal results.
Glass filters sunlight, which isn't a problem for houseplants, but Sarracenia are not houseplants. They need direct sunlight, and by direct I mean nothing but clouds between them and the sun.
Due to the filtering by the glass, a Sarracenia (and many other carnivorous plants) will receive better benefit outside on a cloudy day than it will in the sunniest sunroom.
By Em-thenepentheslover
Panman- The weeds are bladderworts. I will thin them out. I’m glad there is nothing to worry about! Is there a reason the most recent pitchers are different than the other two?

Chefdean- I didn’t know glass was so blocking to them! I have considered putting it outside before, but I don’t want it to catch any pests while it’s out there. Would there be anyway to have it outside and avoid pests?

Thank you both for the advice so far!
Supercazzola liked this
By Panman
It is conditional but it could be anything. It may be slowing down for the season. Flavas put up their best pitchers early in the spring and they slowly decline from there. Leucophylla on the other hand put up smaller pitchers in the spring and bigger ones in the late summer. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you can get it as much light as possible. As far as pests, you are probably fine putting it outside. Pests outside versus inside are minimal. Except for squirrels. Tree rats are a pain in the neck.
MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By MikeB
This time of year, Sarracenia flava plants produce new pitchers that are thin and oddly shaped. In another 4-6 weeks, they'll start producing phyllodia (winter leaves, non-carnivorous).
By Em-thenepentheslover
I have seen aphids on some of our bushes outside so I don’t think I’ll risk putting it outside. Thank you though!

Also thank you for the information about pitcher growth mikeb!
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!