FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hello all,
My Drosera Intermedia is halfway through flowering(a week in) and it looks like I am already showing signs of swelling on the first few flower buds(pic below).
20210805_165501.jpg
20210805_165501.jpg (245.99 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
See how the bottom ones seem to be cracking open, yet the newly closed ones are still small? Is this a sign of successful self-pollination? I wouldn't know because this is the first time one of my intermedias flowered.
Thanks and happy growing
Max
By Shadowtski
Houston, we have pollination.
You might want to pick up a tiny pair of cuticle scissors, mine have a long curved pointy blade for getting into tight places.
That's what I use if I want to cut off 1 seed pod at a time.
Generic picture for description
Generic picture for description
71bFk-HDGvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:39 am Houston, we have pollination.
You might want to pick up a tiny pair of cuticle scissors, mine have a long curved pointy blade for getting into tight places.
That's what I use if I want to cut off 1 seed pod at a time.

71bFk-HDGvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
So you're saying I'm gonna have baby intermedia? Yay! But doesn't it seem kinda early to snip the pods off(there are still 3 unopened buds) or will it be fine to just snip the bottom one off right now?
By MaxVft
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:05 am When each dries out and cracks open, you can harvest it.
But if you wait for the last pod to be ready, the earlier pods will be launching their seeds everywhere.
Does that mean I can harvest the swelling bottom one right now? Because I don't think I've ever had successful pollination in my past CP flowers. Just curious :D
By MikeB
MaxVft wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:42 am So you're saying I'm gonna have baby intermedia? Yay!
It's more like "try to stop them from self-pollinating". You'd have better luck stopping a charging elephant with a sheet of notebook paper. :D

My flytrap pots are full of Drosera intermedia plants. I like to put these sundews with my tall Sarracenia. That way, I have something growing up high and down low.

FYI - You'll have to cold-stratify those seeds before they'll sprout. Mine spend the winter outdoors and get stratified the natural way.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!