FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By francisfaustino
We live in zone 7B and I'm trying to decide if I should shelter my VFTs in an unheated garage for the 4 to 5 coldest weeks of winter. In the past, I just leave them outside but I try to bring them inside on nights when the forecast goes below freezing. I do forget sometimes and have had the pots froze a few time each winter. I think more damaging though is the drying winds.

I'm thinking of doing this because many of the young plants that I acquired last year have mostly been setback. Early in the season last year, I was still trying to figure out how much sun and heat these plants are able to handle. I initially had them under too much heat for most of the season until I transferred them to a more suitable place in September where they are doing well. I could see that the health of the young plants were declining as the season progressed. Because of the stresses from the heat in the summer and cold in the winter, my new young plants have mostly died back. It's only in the last few weeks that they're starting to sprout again. I wouldn't have worried so much if the cultivars that were affected are more sensitive but in my case, it includes the Maroon Monster, B52, Low Giant, and SD Kronos which are know to be hardy cultivars.

This photo is what my Alien currently looks like. This is actually very good progress as there was nothing to be seen just a few weeks ago. I transferred it inside under grow lights for a few weeks so I could better control the watering and the heat. Just now, I transferred it back outside in the shade.
20210802_133820.jpg
20210802_133820.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3842 times
By ChefDean
Tennessee here.
After the first frost, I put all my temperates in my unheated, unlit garage, and keep them moist. Light is much less important while they are dormant. Mine get probably a total of 5 minutes a day of indirect sunlight as I open and close the garage doors while dormant.
I trim my Sarrs as needed, any pitchers showing more than 25% crispy are trimmed to about 1 inch.
As my dews dry up, I trim them.
I clean out my blackened traps about February, then divide and repot them and my Sarrs and I feel necessary.
Everything gets a monthly spritz of Bioadvanced 3 in 1 starting about January as some of my Sarrs start to show some powdery mildew about then.
Knock on wood, but I haven't yet lost anything doing this for dormancy. I've only lost plants due to me not watching them close enough during the growing season.
francisfaustino liked this
By Panman
Some excellent points. Since my winter's are typically above 40, I'll need to add some lighting to my shed.
francisfaustino liked this
By Panman
Matt made an excellent point on a different thread regarding this topic. The plants will be fine with no light, as long as the temperature always stays below about 40 degrees F. Above that, the plant tries to grow, albeit slowly, and exhausts itself because it doesn't have light to use for photosynthesis. A refrigerator provides that consistent low temperate and allows them to sleep for the duration.
tommyr, francisfaustino liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!