FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hey guys, I recently selfed my U. Nelumbifolia and noticed seed pods were forming. I have limited experience with utrics and was curious about a couple things if anyone has experience with this species.

How long does it usually take for pods to form? Mine are currently at around 2-3 weeks I would guess. Also, after harvesting what kind of shelf life could I expect if I were to put them in the refrigerator?

I was looking to store or sell the seed as I really don't have the space to grow any more of these, though it is a fun and vigorous plant. It was neat seeing such a large species flower. I am debating trying them outside here and seeing how they do. Thanks!
By Supercazzola
I think I read somewhere that the seeds do not survive more than a ten mile journey from where they were made, so you probably should just give them to me :-)
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:43 am I think I read somewhere that the seeds do not survive more than a ten mile journey from where they were made, so you probably should just give them to me :-)
I've heard something similar, but I think it was, oh, just shy of 800 miles.
Supercazzola liked this
By Apollyon
Supercazzola wrote:I think I read somewhere that the seeds do not survive more than a ten mile journey from where they were made, so you probably should just give them to me :-)
:lol: I was planning on messaging you when the time came. I wasn't sure I actually got it until I noticed a serious swell in one of the pods today. Seems like the pods vary greatly in size. The older flowers yielded much smaller ones
Supercazzola liked this
By twitcher
All joking aside, I would suggest you plant them yourself. If you don't have room for expansion, you could always trade them away when they start to size up being sure to note that they are seed started. Seed started plants help maintain the health of the plants in the hobby and are desirable when they are Utric species.
By Nepenthes0260
Nice! My alpina seeds took 1-1.5 months to form so I would expect something similar to that for another Orchidioides species.
Supercazzola, Apollyon liked this

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!