FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Nikson wrote:
Also, one last question, I picked up one of those 15 dollar gooseneck LED lights, and it has the ability to have different colored lights. Is it better to just do the regular full spectrum "white" light, or should I run it under the purple lights? I've seen people do that with their set ups and I have no idea if that's something I should be playing with this early on.
I'm sure it won't really matter so much. I'm going to guess the purple will be a combo of blue 6500k and red 3000k grow lights to give it that hue. White would be the entirety of the spectrum. I'd imagine some people would claim having two specific spectrums tailored to growth(Red is more for flowering) would be more effective but I use white for the most part. Guess it ultimately depends on the aesthetic you're going for. If you like the purple go with it. Perhaps you'd see more flowers with the purple. Not sure. It'd be interesting to find out. I do actually use 3000k bulbs on my T5 though so it's kind of a combination of white and orange.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:18 pm
Nikson wrote:
Also, one last question, I picked up one of those 15 dollar gooseneck LED lights, and it has the ability to have different colored lights. Is it better to just do the regular full spectrum "white" light, or should I run it under the purple lights? I've seen people do that with their set ups and I have no idea if that's something I should be playing with this early on.
I'm sure it won't really matter so much. I'm going to guess the purple will be a combo of blue 6500k and red 3000k grow lights to give it that hue. White would be the entirety of the spectrum. I'd imagine some people would claim having two specific spectrums tailored to growth(Red is more for flowering) would be more effective but I use white for the most part. Guess it ultimately depends on the aesthetic you're going for. If you like the purple go with it. Perhaps you'd see more flowers with the purple. Not sure. It'd be interesting to find out. I do actually use 3000k bulbs on my T5 though so it's kind of a combination of white and orange.
Sounds good, haha. I'll just use the white for now!

I was looking at articles saying pings need like moderate light of 8000-15000 lux or something. No idea what the light I bought has.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TF ... UTF8&psc=1

Just got one of those 15 dollar ones on amazon. I couldn't really find any LUX information on it, other than 3500k listed super low on the page.

Guess I'll just take it out, point both of the spotlights on my little ping, and see what happens! Nothing like experimentation, right?
By Apollyon
Nikson wrote:
Nikson wrote:

I was looking at articles saying pings need like moderate light of 8000-15000 lux or something. No idea what the light I bought has.

Just got one of those 15 dollar ones on amazon. I couldn't really find any LUX information on it, other than 3500k listed super low on the page.

Guess I'll just take it out, point both of the spotlights on my little ping, and see what happens! Nothing like experimentation, right?
I'm sure if you keep the light close to the plant it'll have more than enough to do its thing
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 pm
Nikson wrote:

I'm sure if you keep the light close to the plant it'll have more than enough to do its thing
The gooseneck light arrived, just set it up! I have it set to the highest setting, I hope that's alright. It has like 10 different brightness settings, I guess if the plant starts to look bad just move the light further away.

By Nikson
Update:

You were right on the grow lights and the humidity, it's making a HUGE difference! Look how big it's growing after just a few days under the lights, this is amazing! Even the little tiny one is growing bigger quickly!

Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Awesome! I'm very happy it worked out. You'll find that the plant will progressively change color as it grows in to give it that color that makes it so popular. I'm happy you were able to get it handled. A lot of times, there's an easy fix that changes the game. I'd love to see the plant in a month or two.

Something to note though, if you plan on feeding the plant insects or something else, if it's bagged like that there's a tendency for the stuff to spoil and it will likely grow mold. If you intend to grow it outside of humidity though later on, it won't be an issue. I usually foliar feed with a fine mist bottle from amazon and 1/2 tsp Maxsea very lightly because I keep a lot under cover.

An option would be dusting a little amount of dried bloodworms and sprinkle it on *a* leaf. That way it'll probably harvest the energy before the leaf is lost. I used to do that on leaves I knew were on their way out anyway so it wasn't much of a loss. Perhaps you'll get lucky and some gnats will find their way in your pot. Pings will tear them up. Otherwise, feed it after the growth slows and you acclimate the plant.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Yeah, your advice on the grow lights and bagging was spot on! It's barely been a few days and it's just growing like mad, even the little one has sprouted a new leaf!

I'll definitely be very careful with the feeding and take a look at getting some Maxsea. I do have a lot of bloodworms that I powdered for my sundews, so I'll try that out and be very careful later on.

As for the bagging, when do you think I should start taking it out of the bag? A few more weeks? And if I do start unbagging it, is there some acclimation process I should do, like opening the bag only a little bit each day?
By Apollyon
Well I wouldn't be in a rush to remove it yet. I'd give it a chance to grow some more and get more vigor/energy. Few weeks out is probably fine. With that bag, I'd progressively open it, yeah. Initially you may need to prop it open a bit so it doesn't close on itself. If that gives you trouble you could always cut a corner off and progressively open it that way or punch pinholes in it too. The plants are small so I'd be more careful. Adult pings I just shock them lol.

Maxsea is great but you need to be careful with how much or you'll burn out the crown. Cyclo is the only ping I ever managed to do that with so thats why I recommended the fine mist bottle. I do it every week or two in my conditions. The bloodworms will work great but just make sure to control how much and where if you're doing it while theyre bagged.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 pm Well I wouldn't be in a rush to remove it yet. I'd give it a chance to grow some more and get more vigor/energy. Few weeks out is probably fine. With that bag, I'd progressively open it, yeah. Initially you may need to prop it open a bit so it doesn't close on itself. If that gives you trouble you could always cut a corner off and progressively open it that way or punch pinholes in it too. The plants are small so I'd be more careful. Adult pings I just shock them lol.

Maxsea is great but you need to be careful with how much or you'll burn out the crown. Cyclo is the only ping I ever managed to do that with so thats why I recommended the fine mist bottle. I do it every week or two in my conditions. The bloodworms will work great but just make sure to control how much and where if you're doing it while theyre bagged.
Sounds good, I'll take my time! I mean, as long as it isn't growing mold or anything, letting it grow in the bag won't be a problem right? I don't have a fungus gnat infestation or anything, so not in a rush to get it out eating everything in sight yet haha.

For the fine mist bottle feeding method, does it matter if some of it gets sprayed into the plant medium at all while spraying the plant? I always wondered about that.
By Apollyon
Honestly I find it to be negligible if it hits the medium. Only drawback is it encourages moss to grow over time. I don't try to saturate the dirt but if a little gets on there it's fine. You could also run some water through it if you feel like too much went in. And no, growing it in the bag is fine. Just start working at it when you think it's time.
Nikson liked this
By jeff
for my part I think the substrate is wrong.
humidity doesn't have much to do here.
your plants are really small they will be difficult to start again.

see here to cultivate it :http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes ... osecta.htm

take also inspiration from nature over there in mexico they are in the great outdoors see here at the end of the page http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pi ... ard_11.htm
By Nikson
They're actually doing really well now! No more dying leaves. It's growing like crazy and keeps sprouting new leaves. Even the little one is getting bigger now!

I'll think about changing the substrate later, I think, since it's growing well now I don't want to change anything and make it go wonky again.

eriction, Apollyon liked this
By Nikson
Update: It's amazing how well the Ping is doing now! No more dying leaves, lots of growth. It is looking a little pale green in comparison to how it used to be though. I'm going to swap from using the red/blue lighting back to the regular full spectrum lighting instead, the purple lighting is honestly kind of odd and I was reading how it might trigger some plants to go into dormancy early or other weird things. Can't go wrong with Full Spectrum. Thinking about maybe getting one of those Yescom panels at some point, especially for winter once I start having to move my 2 drosera inside.

Should I move the smaller ping over a bit so it doesn't run into the bigger one? Any advice on replanting pings? I know they have shallow roots, so no weird things that will happen if I move it?

Here's some update images:

Here's my janky growlight set up so far. I took a box I had and lined it with aluminum foil, then positioned the lights over the plants pretty close. Also got a little humidity/temperature gauge as well. Very helpful!

By Apollyon
Looks great! Imagine the color isn't as vibrant for a couple of reasons. The bag will be blocking some of it, the size of the pullings, and the nutrients it has available (from food). It looks as if the larger one has been able to snatch up some gnats (but my eyesight isn't amazing). That would have an impact. Honestly when they're that small, sometimes they can take a while to get going. I have pullings from months ago that haven't really popped yet. When they do grow, they tend to really grow though.

Anyway, the setup looks nice. I think the yescom would be a good choice. At this point you could probably begin to open up the bag and acclimate them. I wouldn't separate them yet until one is actually blocking the other though. When it comes time, I find using a plastic spoon to be helpful and a small pair of forceps. I suppose if you *really* wanted to, you could use a spoon and dig up a small "plug" of soil with the plant and just shift it over now. Other people will have their own answers but that's how I'd do it. The roots are very shallow and often under an inch long. If you dig around, I'd give a little space around the plant so you don't nick the roots but if you do end up breaking one, it isn't the end of the world. You can also bare root them too and dig a hole with some forceps. A lot of it you'll be able to see when you're actually doing it and you'll likely end up winging it lol. As I said previously though, they're surprisingly tough. I've separated pullings no more than a tiny couple of leaves into its own spot and it's almost 100% success even at that size.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Awesome, sounds good! New update, I slowly opened up the bag like 20% every day, and today was the last day. It's now completely naked and in the open air. Looks pretty good so far!

I fed it a tiny bit of powdered bloodworm, so that's the little flecks you see on it lol. I think some peat moss randomly gets into the leaves sometimes too from the humidity? One issue I have with the powdered bloodworm is that my fingers physically can't pick up the smallest powdered form in a good way? Like I pinch it like salt, and I get a bunch, but I can only ever "drop" the larger pieces onto the leaf without overwhelming it. Is there an easier way of getting the powdered bits onto the leaves? I've got tweezers and stuff but that has like no grip lol.

Both plants look nice and healthy though!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!