FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
So we're already getting summer temperatures in central Florida (90°F and above for the foreseeable future) which is causing my nepenthes pots to dry out quicker than normal, so I end up having to water them about every other day. I have a reverse osmosis unit, but it takes a while to fill up the cat litter jugs that I use and store, bit I tend to use that water for my sarracenia, dews, and flytraps.

So I was wondering if, since nepenthes are more tolerant of hard water, could I just hose them down during the hot afternoons? I think I've heard that nepenthesaroundthehouse does this, and it works well without harm to their plants. Of course.

So what do you guys think? Also, does anybody else take this approach with their neps?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
What is the ppm of your hose water? Does the city have a mineral breakdown listed? If not you should be able to get a list provided you're not on well water.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Drummer230 liked this
By That one plant boi
murrkywaters wrote:What is the ppm of your hose water? Does the city have a mineral breakdown listed? If not you should be able to get a list provided you're not on well water.

Just tested it and it's around 258ppm... probably too high, eh?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By optique
I think 200 is the limit. Collect that rain water, I do and my tap is 24ppm
By murrkywaters
I mean as long as it isn't loaded with calcium, fluorine, Sodium, chlorine, or anything else that might skew the ph it should be ok. I watered mine with 50 ppm water for a while when my filter started dying. My tap water is much too high so I figured it was better than the month or so I didn't water because I was afraid that 50 was too high.

By murrkywaters
Ope it was @optique that had the 24ppm. I'd see if you could get a Britta tap to pull it down. It might be faster than the RO if you need that much water, alternatively you can see if your grocery store has the 5 gallon ro refill station. I've used that for brewing beer plenty of times

By Huntsmanshorn
That one plant boi wrote:Just tested it and it's around 258ppm... probably too high, eh?
One of the local greenhouses in my area uses tap water to water their Neps but the plants don't seem to mind too much at all and the water in my town is over 350 ppm. They even grew one monster ventrata for over a year, it flowered multiple times (with multiple stalks) and grew to be a real beast before someone finally bought it.
By optique
I would test it on like a cape sundew, its possible what ever is running up your TDS is not harmful . The numbers we use to say its safe are worst case anyway.

on my test of my 24ppm tap i kept filling the same trey after like 4-5 months growth slows and even after a year nothing died. At that point i top watered the pot in the sink for about 5min to wash out the peat and the capes started growing.
By ChefDean
Like murk said, we're finding out that it depends less on the total TDS (within reason), than what that TDS is comprised of. Sodium is the biggest baddie, calcium being another significant player. Chlorine will evaporate pretty quickly, and fluoride is probably inert for the plant. Anything that builds up, that may change the PH of the media, or is just generally not good for the plant to be in contact with, is bad.
258 might work, but check with your water department to see about getting a breakdown of the TDS.
However, if it becomes an urgent need, any water is better than no water.
By MikeB
That one plant boi wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 am Just tested it and it's around 258ppm... probably too high, eh?
If you want to stretch your water supply, you could mix 1 part tap water with 1 part RO water. That would knock the PPM down to 129, which should be okay for your Nepenthes.

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!