FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By KWolfe
We purchased a fly trap kit called Bug Biting Plants for our daughter. It included (they said) one dormant fly trap and one dormant Pitcher plant. They seem to be growing well.
Question; What are the thin shoots in the picture? We're ready to transplant the VFT but not sure what the thin shoots are. Looks like 2 VFT plants to us instead of a one Pitcher plant and one VFT.
Attachments:
What are the thin shoots in this pic?
What are the thin shoots in this pic?
VFT.jpg (521.95 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
By MaxVft
Hi KWolfe,
The thin shoots are grass, you will need to repot instantly also. And yes, those are definitely 2 VFTs, you got ripped off.
VFTs can't just be taken care of like any other plant, as they are extremely sensitive to fertilized soil and tap water.
Assuming that these are your first VFTs, here are the steps in taking care of them:
1. Plenty of DIRECT sun(at least 4 hours) OUTDOORS. Not many people know this but, you can't keep them indoors on a windowsill as they will decline and ultimately die.
2. Water with DISTILLED WATER ONLY. As said before, they are extremely sensitive to minerals as they get those from bugs.
3. As also said before, NO FERTILIZED SOIL(i.e. Miracle gro), use PURE dried LFSM(Long fibered sphagnum moss)or a PURE peat moss/perlite mix. You can get these from Home Depot/Lowes, or anywhere online.
4. NO TERRARIUMS. VFTs HATE high humidity and will die soon after you put them into high humidity conditions.
For more info on helping your VFT flourish and detailed guides on repotting/watering/etc., I highly recommend visiting:
https://www.flytrapcare.com
Thanks and happy growing
Max
Last edited by MaxVft on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KWolfe
Thank you for the info. We ordered the 50/50 mixture of peat moss and perlite and will repot tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!