FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By FlytrapPalooza
So while my plant was recently repotted, I read online that they need to be repotted like every year or so. But since it's quite pricey for me, not to mention the future ban on peat for ameture gardners (UK). I was wondering if there is a way of re acidizing the used mixture? It feels like a waste to throw it away.
By Panman
Agreed. I was just thinking about that today. I do know some who freshen it up by reusing a portion of it and adding in fresh media. I'm interested to hear what ideas there are out there.
By steve booth
I have largish quantities in my in-ground bogs that I refresh every couple of years or so, so I don't have to replace it.
I use sulphur chips for a reasonably quick reduction in PH (don't overdo it or you will burn the plants with a too low PH, and it doesn't drop the PH straight away, so if you test it, wait for a month or so in warm weather, longer in cold weather) and pine bark for a longer-term addition of tannins and slow acid release as it rots.
Its not as good as new media but hey it's in-ground bogs in Uk so Im never likely to get specimen plants, but its more than good enough for 'standard' plants.
With small quantities, it will be more difficult as you won't have the mass of substrate to absorb any overtreatment.
Vinegar and organic acids only work short term.
Cheers
Steve
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!