FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rudy1776
Howdy everyone!

I am in desperate need of your help! I have managed to kill ever single Ping I have owned. I grow VFTs, Sarrs and Neps successfully but I cant seem to grow Pings worth nothing. I salvaged some pullings of this ‘true blue’ and want to see it grow and thrive. What would you recommend/advise with my current indoor setup? Would you change anything, i.e. dome/bag it permanently?

-Lighting: Yescom 225 white
-Ambient apartment humidity and about 72-74 degrees inside.
-Watering: (I need help here as I get conflicting info), I usually water, let it try a bit slightly and water again.

I have a south facing balcony where most of my VFTs and Sarrs are and they love it. But I imagine that wont work for this Ping. Photos of the ping and setup below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Panman
The pictures look okay. It may be too much water. I am not an expert on pings but my experience is that they don't like it wet.
By Rudy1776
Supercazzola wrote:I hope you’re using water with low total dissolved solids, right ? What is your soil mix ?
I use distilled water always. TDS PPM of 0-1 always.

By Rudy1776
Supercazzola wrote:And your recipe for the “soil” ?
1/3 peat moss, 1/3 gravel, and 1:3 turface.

By jeff
P.agnata is a species of limestone .
I would therefore change the substrate .
in summer watering every 15 days by capillary infection or then always keep the substrate moist, not soaking.
if you can take them outside from May to October in the shade and protect them from heavy rains which wash away the mucilage, that would be good
from October to May, winter, rather always bring them in while keeping a good luminosity and a just damp substrate (or as at home completely dry)
By Apollyon
Would be careful with watering as well. Next time a repot is relevant, I'd drop the peat to something like 1/4. Personally I run a mix of peat/perlite/tuface/silica sand and use lime to neutralize the media. It's more forgiving to overwatering. I'm betting a shallow pool at the bottom would be fine. Pings are even hardier to minerals than a lot of others. Oftentimes water becomes toxic as the trays are refilled because the minerals in the water (or from soil runoff) are still present and you're constantly "diluting it" while compounding the ppm. I've almost killed plants from neglecting to clean out the trays every so often. Just something to keep in mind too.
PhilM liked this
By Rudy1776
Apollyon wrote:Would be careful with watering as well. Next time a repot is relevant, I'd drop the peat to something like 1/4. Personally I run a mix of peat/perlite/tuface/silica sand and use lime to neutralize the media. It's more forgiving to overwatering. I'm betting a shallow pool at the bottom would be fine. Pings are even hardier to minerals than a lot of others. Oftentimes water becomes toxic as the trays are refilled because the minerals in the water (or from soil runoff) are still present and you're constantly "diluting it" while compounding the ppm. I've almost killed plants from neglecting to clean out the trays every so often. Just something to keep in mind too.
Thank you everyone for the help! I think the watering is what I can change up, I’ll let more days go between watering!

About humidity, do these guys need anything additional from just ambient apartment humidity?

By Rudy1776
jeff wrote:P.agnata is a species of limestone .
I would therefore change the substrate .
in summer watering every 15 days by capillary infection or then always keep the substrate moist, not soaking.
if you can take them outside from May to October in the shade and protect them from heavy rains which wash away the mucilage, that would be good
from October to May, winter, rather always bring them in while keeping a good luminosity and a just damp substrate (or as at home completely dry)
Thank you! Can you explain what you mean by capillary watering?

By Apollyon
I personally grow pings in high and relative humidity. It's more or less a nonfactor but I'll say I get easier props and different growth from some species under high humidity. Cyclosecta flowered whilst the open one didn't. Weird nuances with some I think. What I'll say is more humidity wouldn't hurt it either way but you'd need to be doubly careful with watering. I water my domed plants once every 10-14 days and that's with my mostly aggregate mix
Supercazzola liked this
By jeff
in fact for watering it all depends on the species, the temperate ping for example likes a humid or even soggy substrate, the Mexican do not like too much, see not at all like all the threadlike except maybe moctezumae that I cultivate as a longifolia.

watering by capillaritis is the plant that 'does the job', its roots will find what they need, for this you need an adequate substrate, rainwater in an undercut but not not stagnate.

for Mexicans the substrate must be damp without more

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!