FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Dogstar
I decided to try an outdoor bog garden. I made a large container lined with pond liner as a kind of raised bed so that I can basically tray water individual pots. I plan on having VFT, Sundews, and Pitchers. So far the soil has been keeping moist well. Has anyone had success with this type of setup? I have seen a few dead flies in the water under the pots. Do you think I will need to clean the liner every so often for things like that?
Attachments:
VFT.jpg
VFT.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 5834 times
By Dogstar
Yeah I was worried about that too. You think a layer of perlite or white sand on top would help? Or maybe white spray-paint of some kind that won't leach on the liner?
By Venusdogtrap
How does everyone fill their bogs with low TDS water? I can't really collect enough rain water for this. Most sources just seem to indicate filling from a hose...is it just assumed that the bog substrate and plants filter this out fairly quickly?
By NightRaider
Venusdogtrap wrote:How does everyone fill their bogs with low TDS water? I can't really collect enough rain water for this. Most sources just seem to indicate filling from a hose...is it just assumed that the bog substrate and plants filter this out fairly quickly?
Personally I have a 30 gallon rain barrel hooked to a downspout diverter which lasts me and my 3 containers and indoor rack weeks, but RO systems are also common and can be found for as low as $50 or so on amazon. In any case definitely don't just fill with a hose, since that of course is just asking to kill them unless you're extremely lucky with your tap water.
By MikeB
Venusdogtrap wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:22 am How does everyone fill their bogs with low TDS water? I can't really collect enough rain water for this. Most sources just seem to indicate filling from a hose...is it just assumed that the bog substrate and plants filter this out fairly quickly?
Buy a TDS meter (they sell for $8-$20 on Amazon and eBay) and test your tap water before going this route. You may be one of the lucky few who has usable tap water, but most people don't.
NightRaider liked this
By Venusdogtrap
My tap tds is around 100 which is better than most water it seems but still marginal. I don't have gutters which is the main problem in collection of rainwater...I'll have to figure something out.
By Panman
You can dilute your tap with distilled to make the distilled go further. That being said, I watered all of my plants with 72ppm water without issue. One of the reasons, I believe, is that they were outside plants and would regularly be flushed with rain water and I would replace the water in the tray when it got really high.
By steve booth
I have grown VFTs in similar set ups to that, with black pots and trays, outdoors, for thirty odd years with no problems whatsoever, but I am in the UK.
Don't worry about dead flies or algae blooms that happen in the tray too much, just clean out once a month or so.
You can buy RO water, or if you have an AC unit use the water out of that, but please test it with a TDS meter first, the water will be pure but it can pick up detritus from the unit on its way out.
Cheers
Steve
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!