FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Good morning friends.
I have reclassified all of the tuberous drosera seeds to class 2. They are still listed under class 3, but with a notation for class 2.
I've done this because it appears that some of them have been here since 2017, and I'm thinking we should try to get these out and given a chance.
I don't know if viability is an issue due to age, but they're getting up there. If you're eligible, and want to try them, just know that they're a bit more challenging, and can take a year to germinate.
Happy growing,
Chef
Shadowtski, MaxVft liked this
By Apollyon
They should be alright. Both packs had a decent germination for me when I got them. If they plant them by next month or so and run fluctuating light cycles they should strike on their own.
ChefDean liked this
By michijake
Apollyon wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:29 pm If they plant them by next month or so and run fluctuating light cycles they should strike on their own.
Hi, I have some tuberous drosera seeds (d. browniana, not from the seed bank) and would love any tips you have for sowing them. Can you give more info on the fluctuating light cycles? Thanks!
By Apollyon
michijake wrote:Hi, I have some tuberous drosera seeds (d. browniana, not from the seed bank) and would love any tips you have for sowing them. Can you give more info on the fluctuating light cycles? Thanks!
Well personally, I went closer to the ICPS suggestions and I sowed my seeds in a mix that was approximately 60/40 sand/peat with a little perlite thrown in. I kept them in tall pots to allow the roots to drop and have room for the tuber. I covered the seeds with a very thin layer of silica sand and put it in my water trays. Different seeds respond differently. IIRC, my auriculata seeds germinated on their own as I began to reduce their photoperiod and were honestly growing during long hours. My squamosa tuber only responded when the photoperiod was reduced from 16 to around 10-12 hours. Hookeri, I used GA3 to germinate but I believe hookeri is similar to auriculata. That complex is one of the easier ones to work with as they're more forgiving and less strict with their requirements.

I don't have experience with browniana but I found this site https://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/cartall ... 2jcnBszQgi which seemed to have some information that made sense.

The site claims you should sow them on the surface which I've seen work for others. Tuberous is still kinda gray on proper conditions etc. There are a couple of people on this forum who have a lot more experience than I do. Hope some of that helps.
By michijake
@Apollyon, Thanks! The only thing I'd read about sowing tuberous drosera seeds was to plant them in the fall. I will definitely keep the forum updated once I get them planted - fingers crossed!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!