FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of help again. I now have 10 species of carnivorous plant and 9 are doing fine, but I'm struggling to make my drosera prolifera thrive. I got two of the three Sisters of Queensland (drosera aldelae and drosera prolifera), and a hybrid (drosera "Andromeda"), about a couple of months ago, and potted them in 100% long-fiber sphagnum moss. After having them uncovered by a windowsill with direct sun and heat, which wasn't working out, I moved these sisters to a ledge that doesn't get sunlight and a lamp with an LED grow light on a timer, with 14 hours of light per day. I put them inside plastic containers where I can put water underneath to add humidity (the pots are not sitting in water, though, they're sitting above the water), with ventilation holes above. I watered them a month ago, and just recently watered them a bit again. The media are very wet.

Two of the sisters, aldelae and Andromeda, are thriving in the new conditions. They're producing new foliage and have large dew drops (and the aldelae is doing so well that it propagated a little baby plant, which is also thriving). I cannot for the life of me figure out what conditions the drosera prolifera wants, however. It's making new leaves, but almost no dew. I have it in a produce container, next to the Andromeda. I have tried moving it closer to the lamp, which seems to make the leaves yellowish, so I take it that it doesn't like strong light. I've moved it to the far end of the container, and even added a divider in the middle inside the container to give it slight shade. So far, it doesn't really seem to be responding much. I think it's still making small new leaves, but doesn't seem to be all that happy.

Please look at my photos and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Does the prolifera need to be wetter, drier, in less light, or what? Do I just need to give it more time in its current setup? What do I do??
Attachments:
This is the current prolifera setup.
This is the current prolifera setup.
IMG_4237.JPG (4.96 MiB) Viewed 2241 times
This is the actual plant.
This is the actual plant.
IMG_4234.JPG (6.01 MiB) Viewed 2241 times
A zoomed-out view of the setup.
A zoomed-out view of the setup.
IMG_4233.JPG (5.23 MiB) Viewed 2241 times
By felinefancier87
Great, I'll give it a shot. I moved it closer to the light, but not right under it, and I squeezed a lot of excess water out of the moss. Hopefully this will make the plant happier.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!