FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I started to notice my nepenthes (Clara) wasn't pitchering and I believe the orchid bark and charcoal was causing it. I repotted Clara in late June and after some time, this stem has grew longer and a small pitcher is forming. Does it look good enough that it'll grow into a full and large pitcher withing a few days to weeks? I also have been misting Clara three times a week.
Attachments:
Growing Pitcher
Growing Pitcher
20210717_111401.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 3195 times
By Sundew grower
Yes it looks like it will be turning into a pitcher, but not in a matter of days or a few weeks. It could be up to 2 months before you see a fully grown pitcher.
By septembersapphire21
Sundew grower wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 pm Yes it looks like it will be turning into a pitcher, but not in a matter of days or a few weeks. It could be up to 2 months before you see a fully grown pitcher.
That's wonderful to hear! And wow I didn't expect a pitcher to grow that slow. I'll continue what I'm doing and make sure things will be good and hopefully see more pitchers in the coming months. Thanks for replying! :mrgreen:
By optique
I have issues getting my plants to pitcher inside. After it warms up and i place them outside they mass pitcher after a rainy week.

By ChefDean
My two cents worth.
With my Neps, I've noticed that natural sunlight and natural food will result in more pitchers. Any combination of artificial light and/or artificial food (chemical fertilizer) will likely result in leaves without pitchers.
If you get a pitcher, stuff it with bugs, adding distilled water as necessary. This usually results in more pitchers on new leaves.
They'll grow with Maxsea or Osmocote pellets, but won't produce as many pitchers. They can tell the difference.
Good luck.
By septembersapphire21
optique wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:24 pm I have issues getting my plants to pitcher inside. After it warms up and i place them outside they mass pitcher after a rainy week.

That pitcher is so beautiful! I worry that I'll have the same problem with my nepenthes during winter, I'm working on a greenhouse setup in one room in my house which hopefully can be beneficial.
By septembersapphire21
ChefDean wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 pm My two cents worth.
With my Neps, I've noticed that natural sunlight and natural food will result in more pitchers. Any combination of artificial light and/or artificial food (chemical fertilizer) will likely result in leaves without pitchers.
If you get a pitcher, stuff it with bugs, adding distilled water as necessary. This usually results in more pitchers on new leaves.
They'll grow with Maxsea or Osmocote pellets, but won't produce as many pitchers. They can tell the difference.
Good luck.
I'll look into the method u just told me and see how it works. I also never heard of Maxsea and Osmocote pellets, which I'll look into as well! Thanks!
By optique
septembersapphire21 wrote: That pitcher is so beautiful! I worry that I'll have the same problem with my nepenthes during winter, I'm working on a greenhouse setup in one room in my house which hopefully can be beneficial.
I really don't look at it as a issue, they still grows tendrils they just don't pitcher till summer. I have a lot of foot traffic in my back yard in the summer. You should see some of the expressions people make when they notice my plants.
Supercazzola liked this
By Supercazzola
Agree. And as long as they catch enough food in the summer, the lack of pitchers in the winter shouldn’t impact the overall health of the plant. That is the only potential danger of no pitchers throughout the entire year. But I guess you could spray diluted MaxSea on the foliage during the year, if it was a problem.
By septembersapphire21
optique wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:33 am
septembersapphire21 wrote: That pitcher is so beautiful! I worry that I'll have the same problem with my nepenthes during winter, I'm working on a greenhouse setup in one room in my house which hopefully can be beneficial.
I really don't look at it as a issue, they still grows tendrils they just don't pitcher till summer. I have a lot of foot traffic in my back yard in the summer. You should see some of the expressions people make when they notice my plants.
Yea, it really isn't, its still good that its able to pitcher. And I can't blame them, just by seeing that pitcher you posted I can imagine the many beautiful and exotic plants you have!
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!