FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Apologies for the delay in getting around to posting these. I think I took them on June 22nd and haven't taken the time to get online to post them!!
Bear inspecting the Sarracenia on the steps of the deck.jpg
Bear inspecting the Sarracenia on the steps of the deck.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 11142 times
View from the west end of the deck looking east.jpg
View from the west end of the deck looking east.jpg (950.53 KiB) Viewed 11142 times
Flytraps and Sarracenia on the deck at sunrise.jpg
Flytraps and Sarracenia on the deck at sunrise.jpg (686.99 KiB) Viewed 11142 times
8x10 greenhouse, deck and a view of the yard.jpg
8x10 greenhouse, deck and a view of the yard.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11142 times
Happy S. leucophylla AJ01, Daina's Delight and Leah Wilkerson.jpg
Happy S. leucophylla AJ01, Daina's Delight and Leah Wilkerson.jpg (996.54 KiB) Viewed 11142 times
front yard with concrete circle - thinking I should fill this with peat and Sarracenia!.jpg
front yard with concrete circle - thinking I should fill this with peat and Sarracenia!.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 11142 times
Shadowtski, Panman, Berrybob and 6 others liked this
By Matt
Yeah, the plants did great during the move. Leah and I didn't do quite as well :lol: Honestly, I've done some crazy physically challenging things in my life (i.e. an Ironman distance triathlon, a 50-mile trail run in the Colorado Rockies, climbed all of the Colorado 14ers, a road marathon, several swimming marathons) and this drive was every bit as physically hard as anything I've ever done!

I was borderline injured (sciatica) when we arrived and I didn't feel good again for 3 or 4 days! Same for Leah!! What a relief to have it done and be here with my parents now. I am pretty sure that is the last time we will ever move. If it isn't, I'm going to sell everything I own and pack up any plants I want to keep so that I can mail them to the new address instead of drive them!!
By ChefDean
The photos just don't do it justice.
Big, expansive backyard. Quiet but for the occasional fighter jet taking off from the Air Force Base. Green hills. Green fields. Bees and hummingbirds flitting around. Tadpoles in the water trays. Awesome food for lunch. Bear the jet black, tailless cat looking at you judgmentally.
Best of all? Great company.
I'm hoping to be able to go back and help again.
Matt, MaxVft, vflytrap87 and 3 others liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Wow!! What a beautiful place. Congrats on your successful move!

Now I have to ask... how exactly did you transport your massive collection there? :lol:
Matt, MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Beautiful! I sure wish I were there.
And to second @Nepenthes0260's post,
How in the heck did you get those hundreds if not thousands of CPs halfway across the country?
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:Best of all? Great company.
Thanks again, so much, for all the help!! I sure hope it works out for you to come back when we start lifting trusses, etc.!

Nepenthes0260 wrote:Now I have to ask... how exactly did you transport your massive collection there?
The collection might not be as big as you might think! Especially if you pack it vertically :D Though it did pretty much fill an entire 26-foot Penske truck.

Below are photos of the back of the truck before leaving and after arrival:
Photo credit goes to neighbor Kerry
Photo credit goes to neighbor Kerry
Plants in truck just before the drive.jpg (988.64 KiB) Viewed 11050 times
Plants in truck after arrival.jpg
Plants in truck after arrival.jpg (972.03 KiB) Viewed 11050 times
Sarracenia and cacti (not pictured) were the last thing to go in. The flytraps were in the back layered on the racks at least 4 rows deep, mostly 5 rows deep. All plants were secured to the racks or benches with the 18-inch plastic wrap that can be seen in the top left of the photo before departure. Took about 4 rolls of 1200 ft plastic to do all of our belongings (shipped in the PODS) and all of the plants.
oval, Nepenthes0260, MaxVft and 1 others liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Matt wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:30 pm
ChefDean wrote:Best of all? Great company.
Thanks again, so much, for all the help!! I sure hope it works out for you to come back when we start lifting trusses, etc.!

Nepenthes0260 wrote:Now I have to ask... how exactly did you transport your massive collection there?
The collection might not be as big as you might think! Especially if you pack it vertically :D Though it did pretty much fill an entire 26-foot Penske truck.

Below are photos of the back of the truck before leaving and after arrival:
Plants in truck just before the drive.jpg
Plants in truck after arrival.jpg

Sarracenia and cacti (not pictured) were the last thing to go in. The flytraps were in the back layered on the racks at least 4 rows deep, mostly 5 rows deep. All plants were secured to the racks or benches with the 18-inch plastic wrap that can be seen in the top left of the photo before departure. Took about 4 rolls of 1200 ft plastic to do all of our belongings (shipped in the PODS) and all of the plants.
That’s pretty dang massive! :lol:

Glad everything went well. I’m sure it was a pretty stressful time. Can’t wait to make a flytrap order soon!
Matt liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
Wow!! It looks absolutely fantastic!! So green and open, its what I long for :-)
Matt liked this
By Matt
Greenthumbs Garden wrote:Wow!! It looks absolutely fantastic!! So green and open, its what I long for
Thanks! Yes, it is incredible to have all of this greenery around and so much open space with absolutely no neighbors to speak of. It feels amazing coming from Ashland, Oregon where we were living within 15 feet of 3 other houses in a relatively quiet neighborhood but it seemed like there was always manmade noise of some sort going on. It's so quiet here with only the sounds of nature. It's truly a blessing!
MikeB wrote:How does the weather there compare with back in Oregon?
Weather here in Missouri is cooler during the day, warmer during the nights, and way more humid. I think it's been over 90F every day since we left Oregon and as hot as 117F one day. It's not been over 93 or so here. But the humidity makes it feel much more uncomfortable for humans. Of course, the plants are loving it! The relative humidity is usually above 80% in Missouri. It's usually around 20% RH in Oregon during the summer. And the hot, dry winds don't help at all either. The plants are far happier here.
MikeB wrote:Are your plants enjoying the great outdoors?
Another huge advantage of Missouri is that there are lots of bugs! After catching essentially nothing most of their lives, the plants in my personal collection are FEASTING now. I think they believe they've been moved to the gardens of Shangri-La!!!
Panman, Nepenthes0260, MikeB and 2 others liked this

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!