FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By NightRaider
I barely found any actual reviews of this shop anywhere even though it's been around forever so I'll throw out a quick review for anyone who's in my proverbial shoes in the future. The prices are hard to beat of course and he unexpectedly threw in a few spares for some cheaper ones I ordered just 1 of, but the tracyi I ordered was apparently overlooked and missing, the binatas were in exceptionally bad shape (no roots and extremely leggy so I'll be very surprised if any survive), and the pings seem to be having an unexpectedly hard time acclimating to outdoors (or even the couple I put on my indoor rack for insurance for that matter) even in almost full shade and with a very high water level. Additionally, the capillaris were all entirely green as opposed to the one I got from Meadowview which arrived mostly red (as well as the planifolia which I expected to have at least some red), so unless I got some surprise Emerald's Envy then I suspect some or most of these plants may be grown indoors under insufficient lighting. Also interestingly enough, the rosea had 2 older colorful pitchers but the newer ones were pure green. In spite of the hiccups though, Bruce was a pleasure to deal with and is obviously a stand up guy: quick to reply, tossing in the few extras, and offering to throw a few tracyi in my next order to make up for the missing one. In any event though, I expect I'll have a few likely unavoidable losses from this batch, but at least the sarrs seem to be in solid condition and I wouldn't be concerned about ordering them at least if I was an brand new grower.
By MikeB
My Lee's story: I bought 3 Sarracenia rosea plants (that Bruce labeled "purpurea venosa var rosea Chipola") in mid-spring of this year. A pleasant surprise: they were a lot bigger than I was expecting for just $7.95 apiece. The plants looked a bit shabby, but I chalked that up to them just coming out of dormancy. The typical summer weather here in eastern North Carolina (very warm and ridiculously humid) makes them feel right at home, and they're growing well.
By Panman
I bought a bunch of dormant sarrs this winter. I have been very pleased with all of the plants. I did lose a minor to rhizome rot, but that is on me. The aliciae I got were very small but are doing well. The planifolia and primuliflora pings are all going gangbuster. I will order from them again but will probably do so during dormancy.
By NightRaider
Yeah now that you mention it I'd have to agree it's probably a pretty safe bet to order closer to dormacy. I'll probably pick up some more sarrs and maybe a couple more dews around late winter or early spring, but I think the summer heat could have definitely contributed to some of the minor issues I've had this go around.
By NightRaider
CPhunter101 wrote:Can anyone post a pic of their plants? Lee's prices seem a bit too cheap...
Yeah, sure thing. I didn't really take much worth posting so I'll have to take some better ones tomorrow, but I'll throw up what I've got for now.

This is at a bad angle for the sarrs but at least it should give you an idea. Didn't have labels yesterday but they've since been labeled. Counterclockwise from right: Scattered D. binata, P. caerula (2), P. planifolia, P. primuliflora (2), S. rubra gulfensis, S. rosea 'Chipola', with 3 capillaris plugs scattered around.
lees_container.jpg
lees_container.jpg (444.76 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
Unpacked these one by one since it was hot and I didn't want them to dry out while I was working through them, but should be enough to get a sense of scale for the sarrs.
lees_shipment.jpg
lees_shipment.jpg (197.73 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
By Nepenthes0260
I have only heard good things about Lee's. I have a few friends who regularly buy from him and have always received excellent plants.
By NightRaider
Pings looked a little better today so maybe I spoke too soon, though it is early morning, overcast, and around 10 degrees cooler than it has been lately. Strangely the couple indoor ones look worse than this now, go figure. Also noticed the light red streaking/highlights on the green rosea pitchers so "pure green" isn't entirely accurate, more like 2 colored, 1 intermediate-green, and 2 mostly green (including the cut off one in front). Was going off memory when I wrote the op so it got dramatized a bit, my bad.

how to contact this gentleman?
He has a facebook page (Lee's Botanical Gardens Carnivorous Plants) with a list of inventory and and ordering instructions.

Anyway, as promised, though the binatas weren't really worth taking a pic of:
Attachments:
u_purpurea.jpg
u_purpurea.jpg (645.83 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
rosea is ~6" in diameter
rosea is ~6" in diameter
rosea_rubra.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 8830 times
primulifolia.jpg
primulifolia.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8830 times
planifolia.jpg
planifolia.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8830 times
Came with the live lfs, so hard to see here. 3.5" pot
Came with the live lfs, so hard to see here. 3.5" pot
nidiformis.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 8830 times
Biggest one, others were ~2/3 this size
Biggest one, others were ~2/3 this size
capillaris.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 8830 times
caerulea.jpg
caerulea.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8830 times
By Nepenthes0260
jeff wrote:how to contact this gentleman?
a few years ago I ordered him some subtropical US ping and I would like to do it again
thank you in advance
His email is buellmyster@embarqmail.com and his list of current plants available is on FB.
By NightRaider
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I have only heard good things about Lee's. I have a few friends who regularly buy from him and have always received excellent plants.
Yeah I definitely don't want anyone to get me wrong here because I'm absolutely happy with what I got especially for the price. I just wanted to be clear that some plants may need a little more care to get them acclimated than ones you might be able to get and just toss in a pot and mostly forget about for probably 3-8x the price at a major nursery. So if I was ordering my very first plants from here I might would stick more to the sarrs, but for anyone with really any experience at all it definitely seems to be an incredible resource for affordable stuff.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Panman
This is what I got this winter.
Attachments:
20210108_184552.jpg
20210108_184552.jpg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 8807 times
20210108_202506.jpg
20210108_202506.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 8807 times
By Panman
Here is my roseae today. It is growing outdoors in full sun from 9am through 2pm.
Attachments:
IMG_17072021_132148_(1000_x_1600_pixel).jpg
IMG_17072021_132148_(1000_x_1600_pixel).jpg (512.25 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
MaxVft liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Panman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:22 pm Here is my roseae today. It is growing outdoors in full sun from 9am through 2pm.
Wow! Is that the Chipola rosea he was selling?
By MikeB
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:43 pm Wow! Is that the Chipola rosea he was selling?
I think that's the only kind of S. rosea that Lee's has.

Here are mine:
S rosea's from Lee's.jpg
S rosea's from Lee's.jpg (659.73 KiB) Viewed 8764 times
They weren't as nice looking as Panman's plant when I got them. The big ones are in 5.5-inch / 14-cm pots, and the little division is in a 4-inch / 10-cm pot. They get sun from dawn until 4 PM.
Nepenthes0260 liked this

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!