FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hey everyone, as some of you might know I live out here in Phoenix, Arizona and like every summer I am always battling mites and the extreme heat here! A few weeks ago we had temperatures that were 116F for a week straight that really put some stress on my plants! Luckily I was able to keep them under thick fruit trees and a shade cloth, but with heat that extreme it still took some toll on them.. Throughout the summer starting in March I have been spraying for mites and I have sprayed about five times using Bayer 3-1. What is troubling me is the browning that is around the teeth on some of my flytraps (look at the pictures above). Now I know that this can be a sign of mites and Matt has been very helpful in helping me identify them but the thing is at the moment I'm just not seeing any active mites and the new growth on the plant seems to be coming up fine. Could this possibly be old mite damage? I know I am not overwatering, I do think that they are indeed lacking enough direct sunshine, that's why I have the 50% shade cloth so I can at least get them some sunshine. I am wondering are there other things that could contribute to this browning to happen? Could the plants be getting sunburned or do they start to brown when the temperatures get too extreme? As you can see in one of the pictures the lashes are burnt which I'm guessing is from too much direct sun, and in another picture it looks like there was some trauma done to the flytrap(perhaps chemical burn?) but what do you all think about the browning? If it comes down to it I might try drowning the mites in water if I absolutely have too(if it is mites). Any suggestions on this would be highly appreciated!
Attachments:
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG (7.79 MiB) Viewed 1565 times
IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG (7.97 MiB) Viewed 1565 times
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG (7.33 MiB) Viewed 1565 times
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG (7.24 MiB) Viewed 1565 times
By Eventerminator
Look more like browning from the high temperature. They may have dried out a lot quicker than the roots can manage to get water into them.
Panman, frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
Thanks for the reply Eventerminator! That very well could be a possibly, the sphagnum moss in my pots would be completely dry on top however just below they would still have plenty of moisture to them so the roots still should of been nice and moist, so its kind of tricky. But maybe they still were not receiving adequate water. I am really careful with watering even in this extreme heat because last year I was actually overwatering them which I thought was insane lol... but it was true because I would leave the plants sitting in water day and night. I will definitely consider what you said so thanks for replying! I'm still always on the look for mites but I just feel that something else is contributing to this and like I said earlier the temperatures here have just been insane but finally(as of last night) we got a very nice rainfall here so that was soo nice to see for once haha :0
By Eventerminator
It's all good that I managed to help you somewhat. I still just think its just damage from the extreme heat. 116F/46C is quite extreme and would definitely shock your plants. Just give them lots of water and they should bounce back!
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
Much appreciated! Ya I definitely agree with what you are saying! Like I said before the browning can be a sign of mites, but I just haven't been seeing the typical brown mottled pattern that mites will create when damage is being done but then again I know it can take awhile for damage to be seen. But ya, with temperatures that extreme and that last for about a week it was honestly just too much for the plants. The plants were in good shade each day but even then there was still quite a bit of light poking through the leaves. I really should of just brought them inside each day but I was afraid of the plants going into shock from bringing them inside/outside each day but when its that hot for that long I doubt it would cause much more damage. I have noticed that the plants will hang in there when it doesn't get any hotter then 110F or below but after that I have to start being more careful! :roll:
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!