FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
I've got two nice ping pumice rocks that I have a dilemma with. Usually, they sit on some rocks in a bowl, with the water level just about 1/2" above the pumice's lower surface. Water evaporates through the pumice like crazy. Easily a gallon of water in 3-4 days. I need to be away from them for more than that. I am wondering which is better:
  • keeping the container / bowl covered with some transparent dome - to keep humidity in and prevent evaporation
    or
  • leave them alone, and have the thing go through about 4-5 days where there is no water touching the bottom of the pumice
By Supercazzola
Went with this solution for now. Have 3 gallons of water in it and that gets the rocks sitting in 2 inches of water. Right now, have the lid sealed tight. Should I leave it sealed ? Yescom 225 are on timer.

Thoughts ?
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 6045 times
By madrone
I do something similar with orchids on mounts - water them well, let them dry a little (so the media / lfsm) is damp, then pop them in a sealed tote. I'll leave a crack in the lid, or add a fan depending on how long I'm gone. I wouldn't bother with it for 4-5 days.

I think what you've done for your pings looks like a great solution! Not sure how much 'testing' time you have ... but the evaporation should be diminished by the closed top, I'm imagining it will still be moist when you return ( or at least humid inside). Hope you update this, so we can learn with you.

If you do have time to experiment with it before your trip, it might be interesting to try less light. I find that those yesom panels (or equivalent) do put off some heat. If you don't want to add more heat to the system, then two panels would easily be fine for the period you're describing. My pings get 2 panels for a 4' shelf over the winter - they green up a bit, but still grow fine.
By Supercazzola
OK, so here are the results:
pings didn't die - but they look like they were stressed. Assuming there was way too much humidity for them in the closed container.
probably should have left more of a gap with the lid. But, I will say they look like they will be alright now that I have them back in their normal setting.

thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!