FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
So as this species continues to remain undescribed, I'd like to share a few things I've learned about growing this mysterious nep.

Most of the online vendors note that it is a highland to intermediate plant that grows vigorously in highland conditions, but I've found that, after growing it outdoors for almost three years, it grows pretty well under lowland conditions too (central florida). Temperatures here during the summer have been in the upper eighties and nineties consistently, with night temps going no lower than the low seventies. Despite this, the plant has not fussed about this at all. The only thing I could say though is that it probably isn't growing as quickly as it could be under highland conditions, but it is in no way a sluggish grower. It grows with my lowland neps and dies fine.

It tolerates low humidity well too! When I had it growing indoors in my room under T5 lighting, the humidity rarely increased above 47%, yet it still grew and pitchered well.

The pitchers were very papery and soft when the plant was smaller, but they have since hardened up a bit now that it is larger.
Mine isn't too large yet though, and it has just started to put out pitchers with those beautiful bronze/copper colors that I always see on Google images.

I can't wait to see what else is discovered of this plant as the years go by, and hopefully it gets officially described sometime soon, though I think it'll be a few good years before then.

If any of you good folks have this plant, please share your experiences with it in the comments here! Also, we still haven't given it a name, although there were a few good ones suggested that really sounded good! If you have any good/fitting ones, please post your suggestion here!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BugBiters liked this
By That one plant boi
Just wanted to provide an update on this plant! It's growing pretty large pretty quickly, and the color is really starting to come out!

I think I've decided to go ahead and call in cuprum (Nepenthes cuprum, Latin for copper) because of the copper colored upper portions of the pitchers. What do you guys think?

By That one plant boi
Supercazzola wrote:I like it. I think you should make some cuttings, and when they are rooted, let me know so I can try it :-) East Coast FL vs. central FL and then we can see which conditions it likes better
Oh absolutely! I'm sure it'll do great there too, and I'd really love to get it out to other growers!
I'm no expert on doing nep cutting, but I'll be sure to come ask you guys when that time comes. But its got its first basal shoot going at least!

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!