FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Tenzou
I just bought a TDS meter recently and checked the TDS in the water that came from the bottom of the pot after top watering my plant. TDS meter says that the water has 54ppm. Is this high enough to cause mineral burn to my vft?
By Tenzou
I was thinking if that could be the reason why the edges of my flytraps leaves turn yellow, then turn black even on new grown leaves.
Attachments:
tempImageQet1J2.gif
tempImageQet1J2.gif (3.73 MiB) Viewed 2840 times
tempImageMVG02V.gif
tempImageMVG02V.gif (3.89 MiB) Viewed 2840 times
tempImageGpfDmm.gif
tempImageGpfDmm.gif (3.88 MiB) Viewed 2840 times
tempImageWXKlbb.gif
tempImageWXKlbb.gif (3.3 MiB) Viewed 2840 times
By Tenzou
I only use distilled/rainwater with 0ppm. Though, I’m not sure about the TDS of the rainwater I’ve used in the past since I only got my TDS meter recently. My plant has been planted in 1:1 peat/perlite for a year now and also I didn’t rinse the peat I’ve used before planting.
By Panman
None of those things should be causing a burn. What light levels is it getting? Did it ever get dry? I agree that the black edges look like burn but I can't imagine why. I assume you haven't tested it for parts or mold, correct?
Tenzou liked this
By Tenzou
Yes, I remember that there were a couple of times where my plant almost dried out due to unexpected high heat. I remember the burning started after that that’s why I decided to put my plant in the water tray to prevent that from happening again. But, that was like 2 months ago. My plant gets 6-7 hours of sunlight a day. I haven’t tested it for mold.
By ChefDean
Looking at your plants, I don't see any obvious issues. I don't see mineral burn, no sunburn, no obvious pest problems, no wilting; they look great. What I do see that is very unusual is all the spots are in the same location, but on different leaves.
Reading your description of the growing conditions, everything being close to optimal (other than the media being older, but not bad). It may simply be that the corners of the leaves on this plant are just, for lack of a better term, weak, and this unexpected high heat that you're mentioning is just making it more apparent. The plant may just be taking it's time to recover.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you start losing entire leaves. I think you're good.
Tenzou liked this
By Tenzou
ChefDean wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:22 pm (other than the media being older, but not bad)
How often should I repot a flytrap to a fresh media?
By ChefDean
Some camps recommend every year, especially with peat, but not more than two. With LFSM, every other year at a minimum, longer if your media still looks good and your TDS stays low.
Tenzou liked this
By Tenzou
What does mineral burn look like on Venus flytrap?
By ChefDean
Google it, there are a ton of pics out there. But the leaves generally start to yellow, and the cilia and edges of the traps begin to blacken. Then it gets progressively worse.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!